Collection and Removal
Shaker’s beauty is enhanced by a well-organized and executed system of brush and rubbish collection. Friendly and welcoming neighborhoods are free of unsightly trash because most collections are made from back and side yards. Visit ShakeRecycles online for information on collection schedules, delayed pickups, and recycling.
Service Center: 15600 Chagrin Blvd.
- Get the ShakeRecycles app for alerts on trash delays and recycling events, and for information on how/what to recycle
- Review Let's Talk Trash to learn more about Shaker's single-stream recycling program
- Call Public Works to request free green recycling buckets, 216-491-1490. Remember: Do not bag recyclables—leave them loose in recycling buckets.
- Garbage must be bagged or wrapped and then placed inside rigid containers with tight-fitting lids.
- On regular collection day, all waste must be:
- kept in containers;
- placed in front of garage door or at corner of house, on driveway.
- Do not store any other materials within 4-feet of the container area.
- Containers must be outside of enclosures and fences.
- Maximum 10 garbage bags per household per refuse pickup.
- Maximum 10 flattened boxes per household per refuse pickup.
- Containers must be galvanized or plastic weather-resistant, not to exceed 26 gallons in capacity or 40 pounds filled weight.
- Containers must be maintained in sanitary condition at all times.
- Rubbish and recycling materials are collected once a week. Visit ShakeRecycles or contact the Public Works Department 216-491-1490 for collection day for your street.
- If pick-up from your house is missed, call 216-491-1490 within 24 hours of your regular pick-up day, or request collection the next day. Reporting a rubbish miss later than 24 hours after your regular day results in pick-up the following week.
- During winter, keep driveways clear enough for vehicles to enter. Collection may be delayed a day following a major snowstorm.
- Clear driveways of parked cars by 7:30 AM so rubbish is visible and scooters can enter.
- Refuse must be in place by 7:30 AM.
Prescription Drug Drop Box Program
The Cuyahoga County Sheriff's office offers an on-going safe disposal option for medications. Residents may dispose of unused, unwanted, or expired prescription drugs at a drop box located in the lobby of the Shaker Heights Police Department, 3355 Lee Road. For more information or to locate additional drop off locations, visit Cuyahoga County Sheriff, Rx Drug Drop Box or call 211. Needles and liquids cannot be accepted.