Moving to Shaker
Welcome! We’re glad you’re considering a move to Shaker. Review the information below for a virtual look at what it’s like to live here, and then come pay us a visit in person. We think you’ll agree: a move to Shaker feels like coming home.
Get Your Bearings
- Relocation packet: Tell us a little about yourself and we’ll send you an electronic version or a hard copy of our relocation packet.
- Overview: Read it and get a sense for what it’s like to live, learn, shop, and dine in Shaker.
- Neighborhoods: We’ve got nine. Each one a unique part of a vibrant Shaker.
- Schools: Shaker Heights City School District, known for academic excellence and cultural diversity, has adopted the International Baccalaureate program at every grade level.
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter to see what’s going on now.
Schedule a Tour
The City offers complimentary driving tours for out-of-towners who want to see our neighborhood schools, recreational facilities, libraries, and shopping districts up-close. We’ll even introduce you to current residents so you can ask questions and we’ll help you schedule any school tours. Request a City tour online or contact our City relocation specialists:
Find a Place to Call Home
Whether you buy or rent in Shaker, there are housing options to fit all tastes. Most Shaker homes were built in the 1920s and 1930s and have been meticulously maintained by owners who meet, and oftentimes exceed, the City’s requirements. The City also includes condominiums, apartments, and one- and two-family rentals – many of which are located along or nearby the Rapid lines.
- Contact a top-selling Shaker Realtor for assistance in buying a single- or two-family home or condominium, or renting a home or apartment.
- Build a new home on a vacant lot
- Consider a Heritage Home Loan from the Cleveland Restoration Society
- Review the Point of Sale and Escrow Requirements (for buyers)
More Relocation Resources
Shaker Heights Latest
Fitch Ratings Affirms City's "AAA" Bond Rating
Shaker achieves highest rating, denoting exceptional creditworthiness
Dateline: February 9, 2016 - Fitch Ratings, a credit rating and research agency, affirmed the City’s “AAA” bond rating as part of its ongoing surveillance of the City’s financial condition. The AAA rating is the highest attainable rating, indicating Shaker maintains an exceptional degree of creditworthiness and easily meets its financial commitments. Shaker is among a small group of local cities carrying an AAA rating from one of three major rating agencies. Fitch Ratings also affirmed the City’s AAA rating in its three previous reports, issued in 2011, 2012, and 2014.Read more...
Landmark Commission Announces Preservation Programs
Celebrate preservation in Shaker Heights with a Photo Contest and Preservation Awards
Dateline: January 26, 2016 - The Shaker Heights Landmark Commission seeks submissions and nominations for the 4th Annual Preservation Month Photo Contest and the 2016 Preservation Awards.Read more...
Public Comment Time Changed
Dateline: January 6, 2016 - Time for public comment on pit bull legislation has been postponed on Tuesday, January 12 to 7-7:45 pm instead of 6:30-7:15 pm. We apologize for the inconvenience.
City Hires New Building Department Manager
Dateline: January 11, 2016 – Mayor Earl M. Leiken announced that Kyle Krewson has been hired as the City’s new Building Department Manager. Krewson joins the City from Cleveland State University’s Center for Instructional Technology, where he managed teams involved in the planning, design, and renovation of the university’s labs, conference rooms, and classrooms. He began his term as Building Department Manager on December 14, 2015.Read more...
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
A Night for the Red and White
7:00 pm - 12:00 am
Computer Round-Up April 9 & 10
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Computer Round-Up April 16 & 17
8:00 am - 4:00 pm