Moving to Shaker
Welcome! We’re glad you’re considering a move to Shaker. Review the information below for a virtual look at what it’s like to live here, and then come pay us a visit in person. We think you’ll agree: a move to Shaker feels like coming home.
Get Your Bearings
- Relocation packet: Tell us a little about yourself and we’ll send you an electronic version or a hard copy of our relocation packet.
- Overview: Read it and get a sense for what it’s like to live, learn, shop, and dine in Shaker.
- Neighborhoods: We’ve got nine. Each one a unique part of a vibrant Shaker.
- Schools: Shaker Heights City School District, known for academic excellence and cultural diversity, has adopted the International Baccalaureate program at every grade level.
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter to see what’s going on now.
Schedule a Tour
The City offers complimentary driving tours for out-of-towners who want to see our neighborhood schools, recreational facilities, libraries, and shopping districts up-close. We’ll even introduce you to current residents so you can ask questions and we’ll help you schedule any school tours. Request a City tour online or contact our City relocation specialists:
Find a Place to Call Home
Whether you buy or rent in Shaker, there are housing options to fit all tastes. Most Shaker homes were built in the 1920s and 1930s and have been meticulously maintained by owners who meet, and oftentimes exceed, the City’s requirements. The City also includes condominiums, apartments, and one- and two-family rentals – many of which are located along or nearby the Rapid lines.
- Contact a top-selling Shaker Realtor for assistance in buying a single- or two-family home or condominium, or renting a home or apartment.
- Build a new home on a vacant lot
- Consider a Heritage Home Loan from the Cleveland Restoration Society
- Review the Point of Sale and Escrow Requirements (for buyers)
More Relocation Resources
Shaker Heights Latest
Green Lake Dredging Project - Public Meeting May 16
City hosts public meeting for Sewer District dredging project
Dateline: May 4, 2016 - The City invites residents to learn more from the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District regarding its Green Lake dredging project at a public meeting, 7-8 pm, Monday, May 16 at the Stephanie Tubbs Jones Community Building, 3450 Lee Road. The dredging project will begin in July and run through June 2017.Read more...
Landmark Commission Announces Photo Contest Winners
Fourth Annual Contest Celebrates Preservation Month
Dateline: April 29, 2016 - The Shaker Heights Landmark Commission announces winners of the fourth annual Preservation Month photo contest after reviewing 89 entries from 30 photographers. The contest was created in 2013 in honor of National Preservation Month, celebrated each May by preservation organizations across the country.Read more...
Lee Road Lane Closure
Dateline: March 17, 2016 - The northbound lane of Lee between Van Aken and South Park will be closed in phases beginning Thursday, March 17 through late July (weather permitting) to accommodate a gas line replacement by Dominion East Ohio. The first phase, beginning Thursday, March 17, will close northbound Lee from Van Aken to just beyond the police station. The southbound lanes of Lee in this section will be used for two-way traffic, one lane in each direction.Read more...
Fitch Ratings Affirms City's "AAA" Bond Rating
Shaker achieves highest rating, denoting exceptional creditworthiness
Dateline: February 9, 2016 - Fitch Ratings, a credit rating and research agency, affirmed the City’s “AAA” bond rating as part of its ongoing surveillance of the City’s financial condition. The AAA rating is the highest attainable rating, indicating Shaker maintains an exceptional degree of creditworthiness and easily meets its financial commitments. Shaker is among a small group of local cities carrying an AAA rating from one of three major rating agencies. Fitch Ratings also affirmed the City’s AAA rating in its three previous reports, issued in 2011, 2012, and 2014.Read more...
Household Hazardous Waste Round-Up May 7 & 8
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Lake-to-Lakes Trail Ribbon Cutting
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Household Hazardous Waste Round-Up May 14 & 15
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Green Lake Dredging Public Meeting
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm