Moving to Shaker
Welcome! We’re glad you’re considering a move to Shaker. Review the information below for a virtual look at what it’s like to live here, and then come pay us a visit in person. We think you’ll agree: a move to Shaker feels like coming home.
Get Your Bearings
- Relocation packet: Tell us a little about yourself and we’ll send you an electronic version or a hard copy of our relocation packet.
- Overview: Read it and get a sense for what it’s like to live, learn, shop, and dine in Shaker.
- Neighborhoods: We’ve got nine. Each one a unique part of a vibrant Shaker.
- Schools: Shaker Heights City School District, known for academic excellence and cultural diversity, has adopted the International Baccalaureate program at every grade level.
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter to see what’s going on now.
Schedule a Tour
The City offers complimentary driving tours for out-of-towners who want to see our neighborhood schools, recreational facilities, libraries, and shopping districts up-close. We’ll even introduce you to current residents so you can ask questions and we’ll help you schedule any school tours. Request a City tour online or contact our City relocation specialists:
Find a Place to Call Home
Whether you buy or rent in Shaker, there are housing options to fit all tastes. Most Shaker homes were built in the 1920s and 1930s and have been meticulously maintained by owners who meet, and oftentimes exceed, the City’s requirements. The City also includes condominiums, apartments, and one- and two-family rentals – many of which are located along or nearby the Rapid lines.
- Contact a top-selling Shaker Realtor for assistance in buying a single- or two-family home or condominium, or renting a home or apartment.
- Build a new home on a vacant lot
- Consider a Heritage Home Loan from the Cleveland Restoration Society
- Review the Point of Sale and Escrow Requirements (for buyers)
More Relocation Resources
Shaker Heights Latest
FirstEnergy Prepares for Winter Storm
Dateline: March 13, 2017 - FirstEnergy issued a press release regarding their preparation to respond to heavy snow and potentially high winds associated with a large winter storm forecast for the area beginning today (Monday evening) through late Wednesday.
Power Outages Update
Dateline: March 10, 2017 - The City received this update from First Energy this afternoon. They report that restoration efforts are ongoing. They have just over 6,000 customers out of power, down from 85,000, and are making steady progress. New outages continue to trickle in.
First Energy is using both CEI and mutual assitance crews. Over the past 24 hours they have restored all critical customers: schools, fire stations, healthcare facilities, etc. They are still targeting restoration for 11 pm this evening.
Fitch Ratings Affirms City's "AAA" Bond Rating
Shaker achieves highest rating, denoting eceptional creditworthiness
Dateline: March 1, 2017 — Fitch Ratings, a credit rating and research agency, affirmed the City’s “AAA” bond rating as part of its ongoing surveillance of the City’s financial condition. The AAA rating is the highest attainable rating, indicating Shaker maintains an exceptional degree of creditworthiness and easily meets its financial commitments. Shaker is among a small group of local cities carrying an AAA rating from one of three major rating agencies. Fitch Ratings also affirmed the City’s AAA rating in its four previous reports, issued in 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2016.Read more...
State of the City Address
Dateline: February 28, 2017 — Mayor Earl M. Leiken delivered his State of the City address on Thursday, February 23 to an audience at the Stephanie Tubbs Jones Community Building.Read more...
Friday Night DJ Skate
7:45 pm - 9:00 pm
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Computer Round-Up April 8 & 9
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Computer Round-Up April 15 & 16
8:00 am - 4:00 pm