Relocating to Shaker Heights is less about moving than it is about coming home. Residents share in the delights of community for which Shaker is known -- walking on miles of sidewalks under a canopy of trees, nods and smiles as dog walkers pass, toddlers waving to pals from stroller to stroller.
Since 1912, the City of Shaker Heights has been a model suburban community -- carefully planned, beautifully conceived, maintained through top notch services and composed of an extraordinarily diverse and talented population. People are drawn here by a compelling sense of connectedness to one’s neighbors, outstanding schools, architecturally distinguished housing options, proximity to both downtown and outlying areas, and the City’s natural beauty. They relish a cosmopolitan, multicultural lifestyle that is both affordable and accessible.
An array of relocation services is available to prospective residents:
- Relocation Packet
- Assistance in arranging school tours
- Introduction to a current resident with whom to speak
- A list of top selling Shaker realtors
- An invitation to read Shaker Contemporary Living for an indepth look into our community
- In addition to the City's free relocation services, Compass Cleveland Relocation offers an array of fee based services tailored to the specific needs of those making an international move.
- Check out Global Cleveland, a nonprofit organization working to actively attract newcomers, and to welcome and connect them to the many economic and social opportunities throughout Greater Cleveland. It is a useful relocation resource.
Shaker Heights is known for a spectrum of architecturally beautiful homes. Most of the houses were built during the 1920s and 1930s and have been lovingly maintained by owners who meet or exceed the City's requirements for home maintenance. A top selling Shaker realtor can help you find your perfect home.
Other options are to:
- Build a new home on a vacant lot
- Purchase a two-family home
- Check out a fully rehabbed home by our highly qualified Shaker Renovators
- The County offers a down payment assistance program, and the Heritage Home Purchase Program combines free technical assistance from Cleveland Restoration Society, a home purchase loan from First Federal Lakewood, and a Heritage Home Purchase Program special fixed rate home improvement loan facilitated by CRS and First Federal Lakewood.
In order to ensure that all homes being sold are in compliance with code, a Point of Sale Inspection is required for all home sales.
Learn about other housing incentives.
Although Shaker is primarily a community of homeowners, there are apartments and one- and two-family rentals.
Most apartment buildings are located along Van Aken Boulevard, Warrensville Center Road, North Moreland and Kemper Roads.
Two-family rentals are scattered throughout the City with the largest concentration on Winslow Road, a vibrant one-mile stretch of two-family homes designated a historic district by the Shaker Heights Landmark Commission. These properties are often listed for rent on major real estate websites.
Single family rentals are available, but not plentiful. The best resource for locating these is also major real estate websites.
Shaker Heights Latest
The Van Aken District
New plans have been unveiled providing a detailed vision of RMS Investment's proposed Van Aken center project. See the details.
Shaker Heights in the News
Fresh Water Cleveland explores the combination of savvy startups, an emerging mixed-use district, and a global population that's helping Shaker bridge old world charm with the City's vision for the future.
Photo credit: Bob Perkoski
Road Closure: Shaker Boulevard Eastbound
Dateline: June 25, 2015 - Shaker Boulevard eastbound between Warrensvile Center and Belvoir will close Friday, June 26 at 9 am for the Arts and Music Festival taking place this weekend.
The road will reopen Sunday, June 28 at 10 pm.
The event and the road closure will take place rain or shine.
Shaker Life wins APEX 2015 Grand Award
Dateline: June 16, 2015 - Shaker Life, a quarterly publication of the City of Shaker Heights, has been awarded the APEX 2015 Grand Award in Design and Illustration for the feature “Living (in) History,” which appeared in the magazine’s Winter 2014 issue.Read more...
Van Aken Beer Garden
6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Annual Independence Day Pool Party
2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Project Open House: Lee-Lomond Intersection Reconfiguration
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Van Aken Beer Garden
6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Shaker Life Magazine
Shaker Contemporary Living
CONSIDERING A MOVE TO SHAKER HEIGHTS?
Provide your name and address and we will send a free copy of Shaker Contemporary Living.