Moving to Shaker
Welcome! We’re glad you’re considering a move to Shaker. Review the information below for a virtual look at what it’s like to live here, and then come pay us a visit in person. We think you’ll agree: a move to Shaker feels like coming home.
Get Your Bearings
- Relocation packet: Tell us a little about yourself and we’ll send you an electronic version or a hard copy of our relocation packet.
- Overview: Read it and get a sense for what it’s like to live, learn, shop, and dine in Shaker.
- Neighborhoods: We’ve got nine. Each one a unique part of a vibrant Shaker.
- Schools: Shaker Heights City School District, known for academic excellence and cultural diversity, has adopted the International Baccalaureate program at every grade level.
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter to see what’s going on now.
Schedule a Tour
The City offers complimentary driving tours for out-of-towners who want to see our neighborhood schools, recreational facilities, libraries, and shopping districts up-close. We’ll even introduce you to current residents so you can ask questions and we’ll help you schedule any school tours. Request a City tour online or contact our City relocation specialists:
Find a Place to Call Home
Whether you buy or rent in Shaker, there are housing options to fit all tastes. Most Shaker homes were built in the 1920s and 1930s and have been meticulously maintained by owners who meet, and oftentimes exceed, the City’s requirements. The City also includes condominiums, apartments, and one- and two-family rentals – many of which are located along or nearby the Rapid lines.
- Contact a top-selling Shaker Realtor for assistance in buying a single- or two-family home or condominium, or renting a home or apartment.
- Build a new home on a vacant lot
- Consider a Heritage Home Loan from the Cleveland Restoration Society
- Review the Point of Sale and Escrow Requirements (for buyers)
More Relocation Resources
Shaker Heights Latest
Make It a Shaker Weekend June 17 - 19
Four events over three days celebrate Shaker, the arts, and dads
Dateline: May 19, 2016 - You can Make It a Shaker Weekend Friday, June 17 through Sunday, June 19 with four Shaker-based events: Shaker Historical Society’s Twilight in the Garden Party and the Gracious Gardens Tour; the Shaker Heights Arts & Music Festival; and Family Connections DadsDay Run. All of the events are open to the public, some events require tickets or registration.Read more...
Shaker Heights Named Bronze Level Bicycle Friendly Community
League of American Bicyclists Recognizes City's Work
Dateline: May 18, 2016 - The League of American Bicyclists announced today that the City of Shaker Heights earned a bronze level Bicycle Friendly Community (BFC) award, joining 372 visionary communities from across the country.Read more...
Green Lake Dredging Project - Public Meeting May 16
City hosts public meeting for Sewer District dredging project
Dateline: May 4, 2016 - The City invites residents to learn more from the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District regarding its Green Lake dredging project at a public meeting, 7-8 pm, Monday, May 16 at the Stephanie Tubbs Jones Community Building, 3450 Lee Road. The dredging project will begin in July and run through June 2017.Read more...
Landmark Commission Announces Photo Contest Winners
Fourth Annual Contest Celebrates Preservation Month
Dateline: April 29, 2016 - The Shaker Heights Landmark Commission announces winners of the fourth annual Preservation Month photo contest after reviewing 89 entries from 30 photographers. The contest was created in 2013 in honor of National Preservation Month, celebrated each May by preservation organizations across the country.Read more...
Ribbon Run 5K and 2 Mile Walk
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Memorial Day Observance
7:30 am - 11:00 am
Shaker Symphony Orchestra
3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Shaker Heights Arts & Music Festival
10:00 am - 10:00 pm
Shaker Heights Arts & Music Festival
11:00 am - 5:00 pm