Moving to Shaker
Welcome! We’re glad you’re considering a move to Shaker. Review the information below for a virtual look at what it’s like to live here, and then come pay us a visit in person. We think you’ll agree: a move to Shaker feels like coming home.
Get Your Bearings
- Relocation packet: Tell us a little about yourself and we’ll send you an electronic version or a hard copy of our relocation packet.
- Overview: Read it and get a sense for what it’s like to live, learn, shop, and dine in Shaker.
- Neighborhoods: We’ve got nine. Each one a unique part of a vibrant Shaker.
- Schools: Shaker Heights City School District, known for academic excellence and cultural diversity, has adopted the International Baccalaureate program at every grade level.
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter to see what’s going on now.
Schedule a Tour
The City offers complimentary driving tours for out-of-towners who want to see our neighborhood schools, recreational facilities, libraries, and shopping districts up-close. We’ll even introduce you to current residents so you can ask questions and we’ll help you schedule any school tours. Request a City tour by contacting our City relocation specialist:
Find a Place to Call Home
Whether you buy or rent in Shaker, there are housing options to fit all tastes. Most Shaker homes were built in the 1920s and 1930s and have been meticulously maintained by owners who meet, and oftentimes exceed, the City’s requirements. The City also includes condominiums, apartments, and one- and two-family rentals – many of which are located along or nearby the Rapid lines.
- Contact a top-selling Shaker Realtor for assistance in buying a single- or two-family home or condominium, or renting a home or apartment.
- Build a new home on a vacant lot
- Consider a Heritage Home Loan from the Cleveland Restoration Society
- Review the Point of Sale and Escrow Requirements (for buyers)
More Relocation Resources
Shaker Heights Latest
Rotary Club of Shaker Heights to Honor Firefighter and Police Officer of the Year
Annual awards presentation to be held October 18
Dateline: October 10, 2017 - The Rotary Club of Shaker Heights will honor its 2016 Firefighter and Police Officer of the Year on Wednesday, October 18 at 8:00 am. The awards program will be conducted by President Charlie Mayer. Rotary members John Sobotincic and Bob Ault will present the awards to Police Sergeant Daniel D. Grispino and Firefighter/Paramedic Benjamin Miller. Honorees will receive a plaque for their service, as well as a monetary gift in front of guests and City officials, including Mayor Earl M. Leiken and members of City Council.Read more...
New Mural Celebrates 100 Years of Fire Service to Shaker Heights
Public art commission also marks 10-year anniversary of new Fire House
Dateline: September 14, 2017 - In celebration of the Centennial of the Shaker Heights Fire Department (SHFD) and the 10-year anniversary of the construction of the new Fire House, the City of Shaker Heights hired artist Augusto Bordelois to create a large-scale mural on a brick wall of the building located at 16700 Chagrin Boulevard, which borders a pocket park.Read more...
Onaway Rd. RTA Crossing Closed September 14-29
Dateline: August 28, 2017 - Reconstruction of the Onaway Rd. crossing on the Blue Line begins Thursday, September 14 and ends Friday, September 29 (weather permitting). The work is part of RTA’s continuing improvements to Rapid rail crossings in Shaker Heights.Read more...
City Council Considers Joining Cuyahoga County Board of Health
Dateline: August 24, 2017 - At its October 10 work session, Shaker Heights City Council will begin to consider a recommendation to contract with the Cuyahoga County Board of Health (CCBH) for state mandated health services to residents effective January 1, 2018. Public comment will be accepted at this meeting.Read more...
Get Your Flu Shot
3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Halloween Ball and Luncheon (Adults 50+)
1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
Get Your Flu Shot
9:00 am - 11:00 am
Public Art in the Van Aken District
5:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Visit the online home of Shaker Life magazine.