Moving to Shaker
Welcome! We’re glad you’re considering a move to Shaker. Review the information below for a virtual look at what it’s like to live here, and then come pay us a visit in person. We think you’ll agree: a move to Shaker feels like coming home.
Get Your Bearings
- Relocation packet: Tell us a little about yourself and we’ll send you an electronic version or a hard copy of our relocation packet.
- Overview: Read it and get a sense for what it’s like to live, learn, shop, and dine in Shaker.
- Neighborhoods: We’ve got nine. Each one a unique part of a vibrant Shaker.
- Schools: Shaker Heights City School District, known for academic excellence and cultural diversity, has adopted the International Baccalaureate program at every grade level.
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter to see what’s going on now.
Schedule a Tour
The City offers complimentary driving tours for out-of-towners who want to see our neighborhood schools, recreational facilities, libraries, and shopping districts up-close. We’ll even introduce you to current residents so you can ask questions and we’ll help you schedule any school tours. Request a City tour online or contact our City relocation specialist:
Find a Place to Call Home
Whether you buy or rent in Shaker, there are housing options to fit all tastes. Most Shaker homes were built in the 1920s and 1930s and have been meticulously maintained by owners who meet, and oftentimes exceed, the City’s requirements. The City also includes condominiums, apartments, and one- and two-family rentals – many of which are located along or nearby the Rapid lines.
- Contact a top-selling Shaker Realtor for assistance in buying a single- or two-family home or condominium, or renting a home or apartment.
- Build a new home on a vacant lot
- Consider a Heritage Home Loan from the Cleveland Restoration Society
- Review the Point of Sale and Escrow Requirements (for buyers)
More Relocation Resources
Shaker Heights Latest
Courtland Blvd. RTA Crossing Closed May 3-22
Dateline: April 25, 2017 - Reconstruction of the Courtland Blvd. crossing on the Green Line begins Wednesday, May 3 and ends Monday, May 22 (weather permitting). The work is part of RTA’s continuing improvements to Rapid rail crossings in Shaker Heights.Read more...
A Different Take on Make Happens at Shaker Makers Event
Makers convene to delight the public on April 22
Dateline: March 13, 2017 - The City of Shaker Heights hosts its first Shaker Makers event, a show-and-tell for innovators, hobbyists and creators of all ages. Makers will share their ingenuity, creativity and talents with the public at The Dealership, 3558 Lee Road from 10 am to 5 pm on Saturday, April 22.Read more...
Shaker Boulevard Repaving Project Begins April 10
Public meeting scheduled April 4
Dateline: March 27, 2017 - Shaker Heights will begin a major road repaving project on Shaker Boulevard on Monday, April 10. The contractor anticipates that the project will last until early November, weather permitting. There will be four phases to the project:Read more...
FirstEnergy Prepares for Winter Storm
Dateline: March 13, 2017 - FirstEnergy issued a press release regarding their preparation to respond to heavy snow and potentially high winds associated with a large winter storm forecast for the area beginning today (Monday evening) through late Wednesday.
Community Shredding Day
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Presentation: Windows - New vs Old, Repair vs Replace
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Household Hazardous Waste Round-Up May 6 & 7
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Household Hazardous Waste Round-Up May 13 & 14
8:00 am - 4:00 pm