Moving to Shaker
Welcome! We’re glad you’re considering a move to Shaker. Review the information below for a virtual look at what it’s like to live here, and then come pay us a visit in person. We think you’ll agree: a move to Shaker feels like coming home.
Get Your Bearings
- Relocation packet: Tell us a little about yourself and we’ll send you an electronic version or a hard copy of our relocation packet.
- Overview: Read it and get a sense for what it’s like to live, learn, shop, and dine in Shaker.
- Neighborhoods: We’ve got nine. Each one a unique part of a vibrant Shaker.
- Schools: Shaker Heights City School District, known for academic excellence and cultural diversity, has adopted the International Baccalaureate program at every grade level.
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter to see what’s going on now.
Schedule a Tour
The City offers complimentary driving tours for out-of-towners who want to see our neighborhood schools, recreational facilities, libraries, and shopping districts up-close. We’ll even introduce you to current residents so you can ask questions and we’ll help you schedule any school tours. Request a City tour online or contact our City relocation specialists:
Find a Place to Call Home
Whether you buy or rent in Shaker, there are housing options to fit all tastes. Most Shaker homes were built in the 1920s and 1930s and have been meticulously maintained by owners who meet, and oftentimes exceed, the City’s requirements. The City also includes condominiums, apartments, and one- and two-family rentals – many of which are located along or nearby the Rapid lines.
- Contact a top-selling Shaker Realtor for assistance in buying a single- or two-family home or condominium, or renting a home or apartment.
- Build a new home on a vacant lot
- Consider a Heritage Home Loan from the Cleveland Restoration Society
- Review the Point of Sale and Escrow Requirements (for buyers)
More Relocation Resources
Shaker Heights Latest
Parkland Rd. Closure: Green Lake Dredging Project
Dateline: February 22, 2017 — Beginning tomorrow, Thursday, February 22, Parkland between Attleboro and Lee will be closed to through traffic. Local access will be maintained in the eastbound lane only. This portion of Parkland will be closed until the end of the summer.
The closure is due to the dredging of Green Lake, a project of the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District (NEORSD).Read more...
Call For Makers: Shaker Makers Event Seeks Exhibitors
Submission deadline is April 1
Dateline: February 15, 2017 - The City of Shaker Heights will host its first Shaker Makers event—a show-and-tell for innovators, hobbyists and creators of all ages—to share their ingenuity with the public from 10 am-5 pm on Saturday, April 22 at The Dealership, 3558 Lee Rd. There is no charge to exhibit at Shaker Makers.Read more...
Shaker Design Competition Announces Winners
Designs will transform vacant lots into sustainable middle-income housing
Dateline: January 23, 2017 – The tradition of architectural excellence in the City of Shaker Heights continues with the announcement of winners in the Shaker Design Competition. Three teams—one international, one national and one local—will receive the top prizes at an awards ceremony on February 10 from 6-8 pm at The Dealership, 3558 Lee Road in Shaker Heights.Read more...
Filing Delinquent RITA Returns
Dateline: December 21, 2016 - Taxpayers who have neglected to file a municipal income tax return can avoid an appearance by simply e-filing returns at: www.ritaohio.com, mailing or faxing to RITA the requested documents. Address/FAX number:Read more...