Moving to Shaker
Welcome! We’re glad you’re considering a move to Shaker. Review the information below for a virtual look at what it’s like to live here, and then come pay us a visit in person. We think you’ll agree: a move to Shaker feels like coming home.
Get Your Bearings
- Relocation packet: Tell us a little about yourself and we’ll send you an electronic version or a hard copy of our relocation packet.
- Overview: Read it and get a sense for what it’s like to live, learn, shop, and dine in Shaker.
- Neighborhoods: We’ve got nine. Each one a unique part of a vibrant Shaker.
- Schools: Shaker Heights City School District, known for academic excellence and cultural diversity, has adopted the International Baccalaureate program at every grade level.
- Social Media: Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter to see what’s going on now.
Schedule a Tour
The City offers complimentary driving tours for out-of-towners who want to see our neighborhood schools, recreational facilities, libraries, and shopping districts up-close. We’ll even introduce you to current residents so you can ask questions and we’ll help you schedule any school tours. Request a City tour online or contact our City relocation specialists:
Find a Place to Call Home
Whether you buy or rent in Shaker, there are housing options to fit all tastes. Most Shaker homes were built in the 1920s and 1930s and have been meticulously maintained by owners who meet, and oftentimes exceed, the City’s requirements. The City also includes condominiums, apartments, and one- and two-family rentals – many of which are located along or nearby the Rapid lines.
- Contact a top-selling Shaker Realtor for assistance in buying a single- or two-family home or condominium, or renting a home or apartment.
- Build a new home on a vacant lot
- Consider a Heritage Home Loan from the Cleveland Restoration Society
- Review the Point of Sale and Escrow Requirements (for buyers)
More Relocation Resources
Shaker Heights Latest
Now Hiring: Police Officers
Dateline: October 16, 2016 - The Shaker Heights Police Department is recruiting for several immediate vacancies. Starting salary: $46,437-$74,528, depending on experience. Applications are now available and must be returned Sunday - Wednesday, October 30 - November 2. Only the first 50 applications will be accepted.
Rotary Club of Shaker Heights to Honor Firefighter and Police Officer of the Year
Annual awards presentation to be held October 19
Dateline: October 14, 2016 - The Rotary Club of Shaker Heights will honor its Firefighter and Police Officer of the Year on Wednesday, October 19 at 8:30 am. The awards program will be conducted by President John Sobotincic. Rotary members Charlie Mayer and Bob Ault will present the 2016 awards to Assistant Safety Director D. Scott Lee and Superintendent of Equipment Robert C. Bates, respectively. Honorees will receive a plaque for their service, as well as a monetary gift in front of guests and city officials, including Mayor Earl M. Leiken and members of City Council.Read more...
Shaker Design Competition Calls for Innovative Housing
Design-build teams challenged to transform vacant lots into sustainable middle-income housing
Dateline: October 7, 2016 - Can a city that is known for the architectural excellence of its historic homes also be the community that builds the next generation of housing? Shaker Heights is determined to be that city. It announces the Shaker Design Competition.Read more...
Shaker Heights Landmark Commission Presents 2016 Preservation Awards
Eight properties recognized for restoration and maintenance of their historic integrity
Dateline: October 3, 2016 - Eight Shaker Heights properties earned Preservation Awards from the Shaker Heights Landmark Commission at a City Hall ceremony on September 26. Landmark Commission chair Nancy Moore presented four merit awards, one special award, and three honor awards for distinguished renovation and restoration work.Read more...
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Halloween - Trick or Treat
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm