Cuyahoga County Public Works -Van Aken District Roadway Reconfiguration
The project consists of the reconfiguration of the Van Aken district roadway. The reconfiguration includes:
- Relocation of Northfield Road
- Closure of Van Aken Blvd between Farnsleigh and Warrensville Center
- Relocation of Farnsleigh at Chagrin and realignment and improvements to the intersection .
The project will also include:
- Pavement and curb replacement
- Utility relocation/replacement
- Traffic signal adjustment
- Replacement of sidewalks, driveway aprons and streetscape enhancements.
This project is administered by the Cuyahoga County Public Works Department. Funding comes from a combination of Federal, State, County and Local sources.
Estimated Cost: $8,400,000 Estimated Completion Date: November 2015
Project Specific Information:
- The County and Contractor will provide a seven day notice to residents and merchants when driveway entrances will be impacted.
- Residents and merchants are asked to locate and mark the location of lawn sprinkler systems located on their property. This will minimize any damage that might occur during construction.
- The Contractor’s work hours are from 7 am to 5 pm, Monday thru Friday.
- Blue signage within the project area will indicate access to the merchants.
- Report vehicle accidents to Shaker Heights Police at 216.491.1220.
- Direct questions on the project to Cuyahoga County Public Works Department. The project field office is currently being established and the contact number will be forthcoming. Additional project information can be found at the County’s website.
- Farnsleigh Road (South of Winslow to Chagrin) will close for approximately two weeks once construction begins. The City will post the start date for this work as soon as it has been determined.
- Chagrin/Farnsleigh intersection – Chagrin will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction while construction of Farnsleigh is active.
- Demolition of the Shaker Office Building (3645 Warrensville Center) starts Wednesday, April 23. The duration of the demolition process is four weeks.
- Demolition of the Starbucks Building (3470 Warrensville Center Road) starts Friday, April 18. The duration of this demolition will be about a week.
Resurfacing of 2013 Waterline Streets
Construction to begin early April, 2014 and anticipated to end mid-May, 2014 (weather permitting). Streets to be resurfaced include:
- Ashby Road (Sutton Place to Van Aken Blvd)
- Menlo Road (Chagrin Blvd. to Milverton Road)
- Cranlyn Road (Landon Road to Fairmount Blvd)
- Brantley Road (Claythorne Road to Ashley Road)
- Claythorne Road (Brantley Road to Shaker Blvd)
The general scope of the work will include:
- Phase I: Pavement grinding and jackhammering to remove asphalt from around catch basins and manholes.
- Phase II: Intermediate course installation to provide a smooth riding surface during construction. Catch basins and manholes adjusted; curb and apron work begin.
- Phase III: Surface course installation and any necessary restoration work.
- Phase IV: Any necessary striping added.
LaunchHouse Parking Lot Improvements Project - Phase II - Construction is anticipated to begin late April, 2014; estimated duration is three weeks. General scope of work includes removal of deteriorated asphalt and installation of new asphalt, drainage improvements and landscaping.
East Ohio Gas Line Replacement Project - Gas lines will be replaced on the following streets:
- Montgomery Rd./Marchmont Rd. (South Woodland to approximately 150 feet east of Marchmont/Kingsley/Montgomery intersection) - Construction is complete; site restoration, including sidewalks and landscaping, will be completed in the Spring.
- Larchmere Blvd. (North Moreland to Kendall Road) - Construction is scheduled to begin the first week of February. Anticipated completion is late March 2014 (weather permitting).
- Westchester Road (East Belvoir Oval to Byron Road) - Construction is complete; site restoration work will be completed in the spring.
- Byron Road (Westchester Road to Shaker Blvd./Green Road intersection) - Construction is complete; site restoration work will be completed in the spring.
- Lomond Blvd. (Glencairn Road to Gridley Road) - Construction is complete; site restoration will be completed in the spring.
- Warrensville Center Road, Chagrin Blvd. and Van Aken/Farnsleigh Road area - Construction is complete; site restoration, including sidewalks and landscaping, will be completed in the Spring.
Use caution when traveling through work zones.
Water Main Replacement Project - The City will be replacing water main lines beginning late September. Duration of construction is approximately four months. Streets include:
- Menlo Road
- Cranlyn Road
- Ashby Road
- Brantley Road - Construction is scheduled to begin November 18. Anticipated completion of this portion of the project is the end of December (weather permitting). Parking will not be permitted on Brantley Road or Claythorne Road (between Brantley and Shaker Blvd.). Parking on Claythorne Road (between Brantley and Shelburne Road) will not be permitted between the hours of 2:30 and 3:45 pm, Monday through Friday, with the exception of Thanksgiving day. Please use caution when driving through the work zone. See Map