2018 Shaker Heights Preservation Month Photo Contest
The community is invited to submit photos of what makes Shaker "Shaker" on Instagram using the hashtag #PreserveSH18 from May 1 to June 30.
The Shaker Heights Landmark Commission seeks submissions to its sixth annual Preservation Month Photo Contest. The contest was created in honor of National Preservation Month, which is celebrated each May by preservation organizations across the country. In a nod to the widespread use of cell phone cameras and social media, this year submissions will be via Instagram using #PreserveSH18.
The contest encourages residents and visitors to submit images that showcase what makes Shaker "Shaker." Photos can highlight a particular architectural detail, landmark building, neighborhood, street, park, place to eat or shop, view, or anything else that represents Shaker Heights to the photographer.
The Landmark Commission formally recognizes the City's historic places through the designation of landmarks and the biennial Preservation Awards program. The Photo Contest asks the public to celebrate their favorite places in and views of Shaker Heights, regardless of landmark designation.
- Follow the City of Shaker Heights on Instagram @shakerheights (you must follow @shakerheights to be eligible)
- Post a new photo on your Instagram account with a caption that includes:
a. a photo title
b. the photo location
c. the city's Instagram account handle (@shakerheights)
d. the hashtag: #PreserveSH18
- Set your Instagram account to public.
That's it! All successful submissions will be acknowledged with a comment on Instagram. If you have not received an acknowledgement, please check that your post includes @shakerheights and the hashtag #PreserveSH18.
Winners will be contacted via Instagram direct message in late July and will be officially announced in early August.
- Photos must be uploaded from May 1 until before midnight on June 30, 2018 to be eligible.
- The contest is free and open to the public. Everyone is welcome to enter.
- Photos must be taken within the City of Shaker Heights.
- Photos must be taken in high resolution – preferable HDR. (Please save the high resolution version of your photo. Instagram may reduce the resolution of the photo, but winners will be required to submit high resolution files.)
- Photos may not be significantly altered using filters.
- Multiple entries are permitted (up to four), but only one photo per entrant may be selected as a winner.
- Any photos displaying a recognizable face must obtain said individual's permission using the City's photo release form.
- Your Instagram account cannot be private, or we will not be able to see your post.
Images that do not follow these rules may not be judged at the judging panel's sole discretion.
• Winners will be recognized in a press release, on the City's website, and on social media accounts.
• All submissions become the property of the City of Shaker Heights.
Learn more about Shaker's Landmark Comissions and view winning entries from previous years at http://www.shakeronline.com/government/boards-and-committees/landmark-commission.
Visit the online home of Shaker Life magazine.