Building & Housing
HOUSING RENTAL LICENSE RENEWAL DEADLINE EXTENSION: In light of reported delays in receiving the Rental License/Exemption renewal notices due to the USPS, the deadline for submitting a Single-Family, Two-Family, or Condo Housing renewal Rental License/Exemption is being extended to March 1. Any application received after this date will be assessed a late fee. All applications are to be submitted online. Detailed instructions can be found here.
In order to access your rental property, you must use the unique username and password that was included in the mailing. If you did not receive a letter or if you have misplaced it, please request a copy be sent to you by emailing the Housing Department and include the property address(es) in the body of the email. We will respond with instructions and your login information within one business day. The March 1 deadline for submitting a renewal application for apartments remains unchanged.
Temporary Service Changes in the Building and Housing Department
- The City of Shaker Heights is aggressively enacting social distancing practices to slow the progression of coronavirus as advised by the Cuyahoga County Board of Health. City Hall is now closed to the public. Please contact the Building Department via phone, email, fax, or regular mail.
- Inspections will adhere to rigid social distancing protocols. Learn more about these protocols in our FAQs.
- Effective June 15, interior violation reinspections of 15 or fewer total violations will take place via Remote Video Inspection.
- The City is suspending and delaying our exterior systematic inspections in the Moreland and Boulevard neighborhoods until next year.
- Plan review, permit issuance and permit inspections are ongoing. Most permit inspections will be conducted by the City’s new Remote Video Inspections (RVI) process.
The Building & Housing Department is the gateway for all construction activity and property maintenance inspections in the City of Shaker Heights. The department has both Residential and Commercial Building certifications as recognized by the Ohio Board of Building Standards.
Our mission is to partner with property owners to ensure the City’s homes and buildings are constructed and maintained in a way that protects the health and safety of the building’s occupant’s while guarding against blight.
How Do I?
- Get a permit?
- Schedule an inspection?
- Start my construction project?
- Sell my home (Point of Sale)?
- Open for business in Shaker Heights?
- Get an extension on my property violations?
- Find a contractor?
Find more frequently asked questions for the Department of Building & Housing in our FAQs.