Building & Housing
Temporary Service Changes in the Building and Housing Department
Please note the following changes in the Building and Housing Department.
- All new POS inspections have been temporarily suspended. Sellers must still submit a POS application; if there are no outstanding Building and Housing violations it will be approved and an Emergency and Limited Certificate of Compliance will be issued within two business days.
- For new POS applications for properties with outstanding Building and Housing violations from an inspection report whose original date is within 24 months of the date of application, parties will be required to either correct the violations prior to transfer, or comply with escrow requirements found in Chapter 1415 of the City’s Codified Ordinances.
- Properties already undergoing the POS process will be reinspected with the City’s new Remote Video Inspections (RVI) process.
- The City is suspending and delaying our exterior systematic inspections in the Moreland and Boulevard neighborhoods until next year.
- Plan review, permit issuance and permit inspections are ongoing. Most permit inspections will be conducted by the City’s new Remote Video Inspections (RVI) process.
The City of Shaker Heights is aggressively enacting social distancing practices to slow the progression of coronavirus as advised by the Cuyahoga County Board of Health. City Hall is now closed to the public. Please contact the Building Department via phone, email, fax, or regular mail (3400 Lee Rd., 44120).
The Building & Housing Department is the gateway for all construction activity and property maintenance inspections in the City of Shaker Heights. The department has both Residential and Commercial Building certifications as recognized by the Ohio Board of Building Standards.
Our mission is to partner with property owners to ensure the City’s homes and buildings are constructed and maintained in a way that protects the health and safety of the building’s occupant’s while guarding against blight.
How Do I?
- Get a permit?
- Schedule an inspection?
- Start my construction project?
- Sell my home (Point of Sale)?
- Open for business in Shaker Heights?
- Get an extension on my property violations?
- Find a contractor?
Find more frequently asked questions for the Department of Building & Housing in our FAQs.