Building & Housing
HOUSING RENTAL LICENSE RENEWALS UPDATE: Housing Rental License Renewals (Certificate of Occupancy) letters were mailed the week of December 14. These letters include a user name and password to renew online. Due to delays with USPS, many property owners are reporting that the letter has not yet arrived. To request a copy be emailed to you, please email the Housing Department and include the property address(es) in the body of the email. We will respond with instructions and your login information within one business day.
Temporary Service Changes in the Building and Housing Department
- The City of Shaker Heights is aggressively enacting social distancing practices to slow the progression of coronavirus as advised by the Cuyahoga County Board of Health. City Hall is now closed to the public. Please contact the Building Department via phone, email, fax, or regular mail.
- Inspections will adhere to rigid social distancing protocols. Learn more about these protocols in our FAQs.
- Effective June 15, interior violation reinspections of 15 or fewer total violations will take place via Remote Video Inspection.
- The City is suspending and delaying our exterior systematic inspections in the Moreland and Boulevard neighborhoods until next year.
- Plan review, permit issuance and permit inspections are ongoing. Most permit inspections will be conducted by the City’s new Remote Video Inspections (RVI) process.
The Building & Housing Department is the gateway for all construction activity and property maintenance inspections in the City of Shaker Heights. The department has both Residential and Commercial Building certifications as recognized by the Ohio Board of Building Standards.
Our mission is to partner with property owners to ensure the City’s homes and buildings are constructed and maintained in a way that protects the health and safety of the building’s occupant’s while guarding against blight.
How Do I?
- Get a permit?
- Schedule an inspection?
- Start my construction project?
- Sell my home (Point of Sale)?
- Open for business in Shaker Heights?
- Get an extension on my property violations?
- Find a contractor?
Find more frequently asked questions for the Department of Building & Housing in our FAQs.