Citizens Police Academy
Note: The Citizens Police Academy has been canceled for 2020. Residents who applied for the program will be notified.
The Citizens Police Academy is a 10-week program sponsored by Shaker’s Police and Fire Departments, open to Shaker Heights residents and those who work in the City full-time. The course is intended to raise citizen awareness of police procedures and programs. Students are provided with all necessary materials and there is no fee for the course.
The course is conducted by Shaker Heights police officers. Classroom lectures and field visits help participants better understand the pressures, complexities, and operations of police work. Class size is limited to approximately 18 students to ensure an active dialogue with the police officers.
Participating in the program will provide a better understanding of the following:
- How the Police Department works
- How the Police Department and the Municipal Court serve the public
- See the Police Department in action
- Operations of the Fire Department
- Ride along in a police cruiser on patrol
- Review crime scene procedures
- Gain exposure to special tools
- Learn and experience firing range procedures and gun safety
- Learn about the K-9 Unit
- Learn about the Laws of Arrest
- Learn about drugs and their impact on crime
- Learn about impaired driving and its effects
- Learn about the response to threats continuum
- Learn about the work of the Crisis Intervention Team (CIT)
- Learn about Community Policing
- Participate in Citizens Police Academy Graduation Ceremony
For further information, call Teddy Kertis at 216-491-1248.
Who Can Join
Those who live or work full-time in Shaker Heights may apply. Applicants must be age 20 or over, with no violent felony convictions. In addition, applicants may not have been arrested for misdemeanor offenses within 2 years of application. Background checks are run on all applicants. Those under 21 will be restricted from participating in certain aspects of the curriculum.
Since 1994, there have been 28 classes with more than 411 graduates. The classes are diverse in age, race, gender, and profession.
How to Apply
The 2020 application is now closed. Please sign up for Shaker Heights City News to receive updates about the 2021 program.