Citizens Police Alumni
The Shaker Heights Citizens Police Alumni, Inc. (SHCPA) is a not-for-profit corporation whose mission is to provide ongoing support and volunteer services to Shaker's Police Department and to keep its membership informed of developments, strategies, and current information about law enforcement.
Membership in SHCPA is open to graduates of the Citizens Police Academy. The Alumni's current membership is 71.
Monthly meetings include reports on Police Partner programs, departmental information, and guest speakers.
Annual Holiday Dinner
SHCPA hosts an annual holiday luncheon for departmental personnel each December during a two-day period in order to cover the four working shifts. Local merchants donate the food.
SHCP offers a variety of volunteer activities through the Police Partner programs. Some activities are open to all active members. Others are offered through the Operational Support Group (OSG), which requires a formal application, interview and selection, background checks, and probationary period. Programs include:
- Citizens on Patrol
- Routine neighborhood patrols
- House watch checks
- Streetlight checks
- Traffic assistance
- Citizens Response - Team Activated for emergency situations.
- Police Weapons Cleaning - Monthly cleaning of shotguns and patrol rifles.
- Resident Fingerprinting - Providing fingerprinting for residents who require them.
- Clerical Assistance - Members work under supervision on special projects.
- Special Events - Crowd control and traffic direction on special occasions, such as Halloween and Memorial Day or in the event of VIP visits to the City (e.g. presidential candidates).
- Annual Bike Auction - Bicycles and other unclaimed property are sold to the public during an auction conducted by the Police Partners.
- Department Training Police - Partners assist in Police Department training activities by role-playing in dynamic simulation exercises.