All contractors performing work that requires a permit, as well as exterior painters and landscapers, must annually obtain a Contractor License prior to commencing work in the City (see Chapter 547 of the Codified Ordinances of the City of Shaker Heights).
All registrations expire December 31 of the year issued and must be renewed if projects continue into the following year. Applications may be filed no sooner than December 1 of the year preceding registration.
Proof of Registration
For business entities, proof of registration with the Ohio Secretary of State must be provided upon application for a Contractor License with the City. No Contractor License applications containing a business name will be processed without proof of registration with the state. Acceptable forms of proof are any documents from the state, including a printout from the Business Filing Portal, that lists the Corporation name and Agent information. Any contractor licensing under their personal name and Social Security Number (SSN) does not need to provide proof of registration with the Secretary of the State.
State of Ohio law requires all business entities conducting business in the state be registered with the Ohio Secretary of State per Title XVII of the Ohio Revised Code. Effective July 27, 2016, per Section 547.03 of the City’s Ordinances (as amended in ordinance 16-67), all contractors licensing with the City under a business name must have the business entity registered with the Ohio Secretary of State. More information on how to register can be found at the Ohio Secretary of State Business Services website.
- Download the Contractor Certificate of Registration Application (PDF).
- Fill out all required fields and any other applicable sections of the form based on the type of registration.
- Print your completed application form and attach any other required documents (see Additional Required Documents below).
- Submit your application and the required $125 fee for each licensed trade to the Shaker Heights Building Department. Credit card, check, and cash payment accepted.
Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Additional Required Documents
- If licensing as a business entity, please provide proof of registration with the Ohio Secretary of State. Acceptable forms of proof are any documents from the state, including a printout from the Business Filing Portal, that lists the Corporation name and Agent information.
- Insurance certificates must be attached to all applications, regardless of license type. Evidence of liability insurance is required for all contractors and must:
- List the City of Shaker Heights as an additional insured/certificate holder
- Include limits of Bodily Injury Liability Insurance not less than $500,000 / $100,000,000 or $2,000,000 aggregate
- Include Property Damage Liability Insurance not less than $50,000 per occurrence
- Plumbing, Excavation, Sewer, and Demolition Contractors must include a $5,000 bond on the City of Shaker Heights Bond Form (PDF). This must be attached to the application.
- Fire Protection Contractors are required to have a State License from the Ohio State Fire Marshall. A copy must be attached to the application.
- The following contractors are required to have a license from the Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board (OCILB):
- Heating / Air Conditioning
A copy must be attached to the application.
Obtaining Your Certificate
After your application is processed and payment received, you may obtain your Contractor License certificate:
- By email – Include a valid email address on your application.
- By mail –Include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your application package.
- In person – Visit the Building Department counter and our staff will provide you a copy of your license.