Trash Collection & Removal
Shaker's beauty is enhanced by the regular collection of residential yard waste, garbage and recycling. Friendly and welcoming neighborhoods are free of unsightly trash because most collections are made from back and side yards.
- Garbage must be bagged or wrapped and then placed inside rigid containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Containers must be galvanized or plastic weather-resistant, not to exceed 32 gallons in capacity or 40 pounds filled weight.
- Do not store any other materials within 4-feet of the container area (our crews may mistake the items for garbage and haul it away).
- Containers must be maintained in sanitary condition at all times.
On your collection day:
- All waste must be kept in containers and placed in front of garage door, at the corner of the house, or on the driveway.
- Containers must be outside of enclosures and fences.
- A maximum of 10 garbage bags per household per refuse pickup. A maximum of 10 flattened boxes per household per refuse pickup.
- Clear driveways of parked cars by 7 a.m. so rubbish is visible and scooters can enter. Refuse must be in place by 7 a.m.
- During winter, keep driveways clear enough for vehicles to enter. Collection may be delayed a day following a major snowstorm.
Schedule & Missed Pick Ups
- Garbage and recycling materials are collected once a week. Find your collection day online or contact the Public Works Department at 216-491-1490.
- If pick-up from your house is missed, email Public Works or call 216-491-1490 within 24 hours of your regular pick-up day to request collection the next day. Reporting a rubbish miss later than 24 hours after your regular day results in pick-up the following week.
- Visit Leaves, Grass and Brush Collection to learn how to prepare your yard waste for collection by the City.
- View Recycling Guidelines for residential recycling in Shaker.
- Get the ShakeRecycles app for alerts on trash delays and recycling events, and for additional information on how/what to recycle.
- Email Public Works to request free green recycling buckets. Remember: Do not bag recyclables-leave them loose in recycling buckets.