The Thornton Park Pool is now open for the 2021 season with COVID-19 protocols in place. For the remainder of the season, the pool will be open to the public daily from 10 am - 7:30 pm and advance registration is no longer be required. Vending and concessions will remain closed. More information on how to visit the pool this summer is included below.
The City is following CDC guidelines with regard to masks. CDC guidance now says that vaccinated people can safely remove masks. Unvaccinated people are encouraged to mask indoors and outdoors, especially in situations where there are likely other unvaccinated individuals, and when social distancing isn’t possible.
FOOD AND CONCESSIONS
This year, due to the pandemic, there will be no onsite food such as concessions or vendor at the Thornton Park Pool. Guests are welcome to bring their own and eat in the picnic area outside of the pool fence. Alcoholic beverages and glass containers are prohibited. Coolers and other food (including snacks) should be left in vehicles or on picnic tables. The City is not responsible for unattended, lost, or stolen items.
Pre-paid admissions that were purchased for this season will convert to pool passes for the remainder of the season. Pass holders must use their Recreation Department swipe card to gain access to the pool starting Monday, July 5th. If you are a new pass holder, your swipe card can be picked up from the Pool Gate from 10 am to 7 pm. If you were a pass holder in previous seasons, you can continue to use your existing swipe card.
The purchase of a Thornton Park Pool pass allows residents the opportunity to make unlimited visits to the Thornton Park Pool for the duration of the 2021 pool season. A pool pass or daily admission is required for all adults and children age 4 and older. Adults ages 18 to 24 who are currently living with their parents are considered subsequent family members. Nanny pool passes are also available for purchase. The nanny must be accompanied by children entering the pool. Proof of residency is required when purchasing a pool pass.
2021 Season Pool Pass Rates
|EARLY BIRD (4/1-5/18)|
SH RES ONLY
|REGULAR RATE (5/19-9/6)|
SH RES ONLY
|FIRST FAMILY MEMBER||$70||$115|
|SUBSEQUENT FAMILY MEMBER||$30||$35|
|SENIOR COUPLE 50+||$60||$95|
There are two ways to purchase your season pool pass:
- Phone: 216-491-1295 or 216-491-1360. Have MasterCard, Visa or Discover ready. Proof of residency required: driver's license, current utility bill, lease, or purchase agreement. Current holders of Recreation ID cards must have cards renewed annually as proof of residency. Phone registration is available Monday-Friday from 8:30 AM-5 PM.
Beginning Monday, July 5th, advance reservations will no longer be required and the pool will be open daily from 10 am to 7:30 pm.
Daily admission to the Thornton Park Pool is available for residents who plan to visit on an occasional basis. Daily admission can be purchased upon arrival to the facility.
2021 Season Daily Admission Rates
|SHAKER RESIDENTS||SHAKER GUESTS|
|PRESCHOOL (AGES 4-5)||$2.00||$3.50|
|YOUTH (AGES 6-17)||$5.00||$8.50|
|ADULT (AGES 18-49)||$6.00||$9.00|
|SENIOR (AGES 50+)||$5.00||$8.50|
Pool Rules & Policies:
- general Pool Rules & Policies
- Code of Conduct
- Diving Board Rules & Policies
- tot pool rules & policies
- slide rules & policies
- sprayground rules & Policies
RULES & POLICIES:
- All swimmers must wear a color‐coded wristband on their person to use the pool.
- Swimmers must wear appropriate swimming apparel (e.g., no cut‐offs or athletic shorts).
- Children 10 years of age or under must be accompanied by an adult age 18 or over.
- No running, horseplay or unruly behavior.
- No glass containers of any type are permitted in pool area.
- No food on deck.
- Smoking is prohibited on City property.
- Profane, abusive, or vulgar language is not permitted.
- The City of Shaker Heights is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
POOL MANAGEMENT RETAINS THE RIGHT TO:
- Close pool immediately in the event of fecal contamination.
- Regulate flotation devices and toys—only US Coast Guard approved flotation devices are permitted (no rafts, water wings, inner tubes, etc.) in main pool only. Children in life jackets must have a parent within arm’s reach at all times.
- Zero Tolerance—take appropriate disciplinary action for acts that threaten the safety, welfare and environment of the guests or interfere with the operation of the pool.
CODE OF CONDUCT:
The following is prohibited:
- Use of obscene, profane, vulgar, derogatory, demeaning or threatening language or gestures.
- Disregarding pool rules and procedures.
- Entering the facility by means other than proper check‐in procedures.
- Threats and attempts to intimidate employees, lifeguards or guests.
- Throwing of articles in a deliberate or aggressive manner.
- Physically striking another individual.
- Attempts to goad or incite violence in others.
- Vandalism to City property.
- Racial or ethnic slurs.
- Lewd or lascivious sexual behavior.
- Theft of property.
- Possession of weapons.
- Use of drugs or alcohol.
Individuals who engage in any of the above behaviors will be subject to immediate ejection from the property or facility and are subject to mandatory suspension from City property. Possible criminal charges by the Shaker Heights Police Department may follow.
DIVING BOARD RULES & POLICIES:
- As a safety precaution, before diving, divers may be asked to must pass a swim test, regardless of age.
- Only one person at a time is permitted on the diving board and ladder.
- Each person must wait until the proceeding diver has cleared the area before diving.
- Only one bounce is permitted on the diving board except during instructional activity, under the supervision of a diving instructor.
- Front dives and flips are allowed straight off the end of the board.
- Cartwheels, back dives and handstands are prohibited.
- Running dives are not allowed.
- Jumping off the diving board into the arms of another swimmer is not permitted.
- Divers must swim directly to the nearest ladder and leave the diving area.
- Swimming under the diving board is prohibited.
- Playing or swimming in the diving area is not permitted while boards are open for diving.
- Hanging off the end of the diving board is not permitted.
- Goggles, masks or flotation devices may not be worn going off the board.
- The manager on duty may restrict certain dives based on safety concerns.
TOT POOL RULES & POLICIES:
- Parents must remain within an arm’s length of their children.
- Children 6 years of age or under must be accompanied by an adult age 18 or over.
- No running of horseplay.
- Diaper changing facilities are located in the men’s/women’s bathrooms or locker rooms. Diapers may not be changed pool side.
- Only snug swim diaper or other protective swimsuit may be worn in the pool. No child in disposable or cloth diapers will be allowed in the pool.
- All flotation devices are prohibited in Tot Pool.
SLIDE RULES & POLICIES:
- Users shall ride feet first at all times; stopping or changing positions is prohibited.
- No stopping inside the slide.
- Only one user at a time is permitted: forming “chains” is prohibited.
- Always check to see if the landing area is clear before entering slide.
- Users must exit the landing area of the slide immediately.
- No life jackets or loose clothing to be worn while sliding.
- Slide is not recommended for pregnant women.
- No holding of small child while sliding.
- Sliders must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- LIFEGUARD must be present at all times.
- Height Restrictions: 48” Tall Slide 44” Short Slide
SPRAYGROUND RULES & POLICIES:
- Do not use sprayground when you have diarrhea.
- Water is not meant for drinking.
- Wash hands after using the restroom or changing diapers.
- Take restroom breaks, change diapers only in the restroom