Thornton Park's swimming pool is open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. The pool offers both open swimming and lap swimming, as well as a current channel, splash zone, two slides, diving board, and a tot pool for children age six and under (accompanied by a supervising adult age 18 and over).
Note: When Thornton Park Pool closes for the season, residents are invited to swim at Woodbury Pool located at Woodbury School.
Purchase Your 2022 Season Pool Pass
Pool pass sales begin on Wednesday, January 5th. Don’t miss out on our early bird and pre-season pricing for the upcoming summer pool season.
|SH RES ONLY||SH RES ONLY||SH RES ONLY||NON-RES|
|FIRST FAMILY MEMBER||$70||$95||$115||$175|
|SUBSEQUENT FAMILY MEMBER||$30||$30||$35||$50|
|SENIOR COUPLE 50+||$60||$80||$95||$145|
Thornton Park Pool season pass holders receive admission to open swim and lap swim. A pass is required for children age 5 and older as of May 24, 2022. Proof of residency is required when purchasing seasonal pool passes. Adults ages 18 to 24 who are currently living with their parents are considered subsequent family members. Nanny passes are available for purchase. Nanny must be accompanied by children entering the pool. No refunds are available for Thornton Park Pool passes. Replacement passes are available for $10.
How to Purchase
There are three ways to purchase your season pool pass:
- In-person: Thornton Park (3301 Warrensville Center Rd.) and/or Stephanie Tubbs Jones Community Building (3450 Lee Rd.). Proof of residency required: driver's license, current utility bill, lease or purchase agreement. Current holders of Recreation ID cards must have cards renewed annually as proof of residency.
- Phone: 216-491-1295 or 216-491-1360. Have MasterCard, Visa or Discover ready.
- Registration Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 am-5 pm.
Pool Rules & Policies:
- General Pool Rules & Policies
- Code of Conduct
- Diving Board Rules & Policies
- Tot Pool Rules & Policies
- Slide Rules & Policies
- Sprayground Rules & Policies
RULES & POLICIES:
- All swimmers must wear a color‐coded wristband on their person to use the pool.
- Swimmers must wear appropriate swimming apparel (e.g., no cut‐offs or athletic shorts).
- Children ages 6 and under must have a parent or guardian in pool at all times, actively engaged with child(ren).
- Children ages 12 and under must have a parent or guardian within pool area at all times.
- No running, horseplay or unruly behavior.
- No glass containers of any type are permitted in pool area.
- Smoking, alcohol, and electronic cigarettes are prohibited on City property
- Profane, abusive, or vulgar language is not permitted.
- The City of Shaker Heights is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
POOL MANAGEMENT RETAINS THE RIGHT TO:
- Close pool immediately in the event of fecal contamination.
- Regulate flotation devices and toys—only US Coast Guard approved flotation devices are permitted (no rafts, water wings, inner tubes, etc.) in main pool only. Children in life jackets must have a parent within arm’s reach at all times.
- Zero Tolerance—take appropriate disciplinary action for acts that threaten the safety, welfare and environment of the guests or interfere with the operation of the pool.
CODE OF CONDUCT:
The following is prohibited:
- Use of obscene, profane, vulgar, derogatory, demeaning or threatening language or gestures.
- Disregarding pool rules and procedures.
- Entering the facility by means other than proper check‐in procedures.
- Threats and attempts to intimidate employees, lifeguards or guests.
- Throwing of articles in a deliberate or aggressive manner.
- Physically striking another individual.
- Attempts to goad or incite violence in others.
- Vandalism to City property.
- Racial or ethnic slurs.
- Lewd or lascivious sexual behavior.
- Theft of property.
- Possession of weapons.
- Use of drugs or alcohol.
Individuals who engage in any of the above behaviors will be subject to immediate ejection from the property or facility and are subject to mandatory suspension from City property. Possible criminal charges by the Shaker Heights Police Department may follow.
DIVING BOARD RULES & POLICIES:
- As a safety precaution, before diving, divers may be asked to pass a swim test, regardless of age.
- Only one person at a time is permitted on the diving board and ladder.
- Each person must wait until the proceeding diver has cleared the area before diving.
- Only one bounce is permitted on the diving board except during instructional activity, under the supervision of a diving instructor.
- Front dives and flips are allowed straight off the end of the board.
- Cartwheels, back dives and handstands are prohibited.
- Running dives are not allowed.
- Jumping off the diving board into the arms of another swimmer is not permitted.
- Divers must swim directly to the nearest ladder and leave the diving area.
- Swimming under the diving board is prohibited.
- Playing or swimming in the diving area is not permitted while boards are open for diving.
- Hanging off the end of the diving board is not permitted.
- Goggles, masks or flotation devices may not be worn going off the board.
- The manager on duty may restrict certain dives based on safety concerns.
TOT POOL RULES & POLICIES:
- Parents must remain within an arm’s length of their children.
- Children 6 years of age or under must be accompanied by an adult age 18 or over.
- No running of horseplay.
- Diaper changing facilities are located in the men’s/women’s bathrooms or locker rooms. Diapers may not be changed pool side.
- Only snug swim diaper or other protective swimsuit may be worn in the pool. No child in disposable or cloth diapers will be allowed in the pool.
- All flotation devices are prohibited in Tot Pool.
SLIDE RULES & POLICIES:
- As a safety precaution, before using the slide, swimmers may be asked to pass a swim test, regardless of age.
- Users shall ride feet first at all times; stopping or changing positions is prohibited.
- No stopping inside the slide.
- Only one user at a time is permitted: forming “chains” is prohibited.
- Always check to see if the landing area is clear before entering slide.
- Users must exit the landing area of the slide immediately.
- No life jackets or loose clothing to be worn while sliding.
- Slide is not recommended for pregnant women.
- No holding of small child while sliding.
- Sliders must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- LIFEGUARD must be present at all times.
- Height Restrictions: 48” Tall Slide 44” Short Slide
SPRAYGROUND RULES & POLICIES:
- Do not use sprayground when you have diarrhea.
- Water is not meant for drinking.
- Wash hands after using the restroom or changing diapers.
- Take restroom breaks, change diapers only in the restroom.