Van Aken Redevelopment
Phase one of the Van Aken District was completed in 2019. This mixed-use, transit-oriented development was built by RMS, after almost 20 years of thoughtful planning and infrastructure improvements by the City of Shaker Heights to lay the groundwork for the redevelopment of this area. Select "Project Timeline" below to learn more.
Phase two of the Van Aken District broke ground in August 2022. RMS will build a 228-unit apartment building on the north side of Farnsleigh Rd. between Van Aken Blvd. and Tuttle Rd. This site was previously a City-owned parking lot.
Additionally, the City is working on public realm improvement for the Van Aken District, including upgrades to the District's public transit station.
- 2021-2024: Van Aken District Phase 2 and the City's Van Aken District Transit Improvements.
- 2020: The Van Aken District Public Realm Plan is completed.
- 2019: The Van Aken District Phase 1 officially opens.
- 2016-2017: The Connections Plan for the Van Aken District is completed. Demolition on Van Aken Center with funding from Cuyahoga County. Construction on the Van Aken District begins in 2017.
- 2014-2015: City completes infrastructure improvements in advance of the construction of the Van Aken District. This included reconfiguring the Warrensville Center/Van Aken intersection. The City received $18.5 million in grant funding for the roadway reconfiguration.
- 2013: RMS Corporation signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the City to make the first phase of the district redevelopment a reality.
- 2010: City Council adopts the Intermodal Transit Center Program Plan (PDF).
- 2008: The Warrensville/Van Aken Transit-Oriented Development Plan (PDF) outlines infrastructure and roadwork changes necessary for new development.
- 2007: Public meetings gather input for a mixed-use district.
- 2000: The City’s Strategic Investment Plan (PDF) recommends reconfiguring the Chagrin/Warrensville/Van Aken intersection and developing a mixed-used downtown.
- Read The Van Aken District: A Model for First Suburb Revitalization (PDF), an article written by then City Economic Development Director Tania Menesse which appeared in the Spring 2016 issue of Economic Development Journal
- View the Planning Commission's December 2015 Van Aken presentation (PDF).
- 2020 Van Aken District Public Realm Plan (PDF)
- 2016 Van Aken District Connections Plan Final (PDF)
- 2015 Warrensville Van Aken Station Area Plan (PDF)
- 2010 Intermodal Transit Center Program Plan - Executive Summary (PDF)
- 2008 Traffic Study (PDF)
- 2008 Warrensville Van Aken Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) Plan - Appendix (PDF)
- 2008 Warrensville Van Aken Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) Plan - Executive Summary (PDF)
- 2008 Van Aken District Public Art Action Strategy (PDF)
- The Van Aken District - A Model for First Suburb Revitalization (PDF)