Shaker Heights is an exceptional place. Here you will discover a quality of life that is second to none. Historic architecture, magnificent tree-lined streets and parks, and well-supported, top-notch schools are sources of tremendous community pride. In addition, our notable city services, public transportation, a business friendly environment, and our ideal location set us apart. Our active, engaged residents and their strong sense of community make the city a truly special place to call home.
- The City encompasses six square miles of streets and 200 miles of sidewalks. Nearly every house is within a quarter mile of a rapid transit stop.
- A diverse population of 28,000-plus ... a mix of newcomers from across the globe and long-time residents alike.
- Nine distinctive neighborhoods characterized by tree-lined streets, ample sidewalks and extraordinary architecture.
- Four lakes and plentiful parklands and playgrounds.
- Updated recreational facilities including an outdoor 50-meter swimming pool and an indoor, year-round ice skating arena
- A regional Nature Center identified as a National Environmental Education Landmark
- A 2016 Bronze Level Bicycle Friendly Community, named by the League of American Bicyclists
- A top Ohio school district, one of only eight nationwide to have adopted the highly regarded International Baccalaureate program
- Four independent schools (Hathaway Brown School, Laurel School, University School, and St. Dominic School)
Shaker residents enjoy easy access by rail, bus or car to Northeast Ohio's premier business, dining and cultural destinations. Here's just a sampling:
- At our door step: University Circle, home to world-renowned museums and the Cleveland Orchestra, two universities, two nationally recognized hospitals, and beautiful parks.
- A 25-minute ride on one of Shaker's two RTA lines: Downtown Cleveland, home to some of the region's leading businesses, a vibrant restaurant scene, world-class theater, and three major sports teams.
- A 10-minute drive: On ramps to highways I-480 and I-271, with easy access to the greater region: take a hike at a Cleveland Metropark (18 reservations offer 23,000 acres of the great outdoors), enjoy Cleveland's eclectic Ohio City and Tremont neighborhoods, explore the beach-side communities along Lake Erie, or ride the coasters at Cedar Point.
Learn more about Shaker Heights in the flip-book A Closer Look.