Shaker Heights is an exceptional place. Here you will discover a quality of life that is second to none. Historic architecture, magnificent tree-lined streets and parks, and well-supported, top-notch schools are sources of tremendous community pride. In addition, our notable city services, public transportation, a business friendly environment, and our ideal location set us apart. Our active, engaged residents and their strong sense of community make the city a truly special place to call home.
View videos highlighting some of the delightful daily encounters and experiences in Shaker Heights
- The City encompasses six square miles of streets and 200 miles of sidewalks. Nearly every house is within a quarter mile of a rapid transit stop.
- A diverse population of 28,000-plus ... a mix of newcomers from across the globe and long-time residents alike.
- Nine distinctive neighborhoods characterized by tree-lined streets, ample sidewalks and extraordinary architecture.
- Four lakes and plentiful parklands and playgrounds.
- Updated recreational facilities including an outdoor 50-meter swimming pool and an indoor, year-round ice skating arena
- A regional Nature Center identified as a National Environmental Education Landmark
- A 2016 and 2020 Bronze Level Bicycle Friendly Community, named by the League of American Bicyclists
- Nationally recognized public and private schools.
Shaker residents enjoy easy access by rail, bus or car to Northeast Ohio's premier business, dining and cultural destinations. Here's just a sampling:
- At our door step: University Circle, home to world-renowned museums and the Cleveland Orchestra, two universities, two nationally recognized hospitals, and beautiful parks.
- A 25-minute ride on one of Shaker's two RTA lines: Downtown Cleveland, home to some of the region's leading businesses, a vibrant restaurant scene, world-class theater, and three major sports teams.
- A 10-minute drive: On ramps to highways I-480 and I-271, with easy access to the greater region: take a hike at a Cleveland Metropark (18 reservations offer 23,000 acres of the great outdoors), enjoy Cleveland's eclectic Ohio City and Tremont neighborhoods, explore the beach-side communities along Lake Erie, or ride the coasters at Cedar Point.