Special Events Permits
Parade / Race Applications
Applications for permission to conduct a Parade / Race (including Runs, Walks, Bike Events, and Marches) on public streets in Shaker Heights must be filed at least 6 months prior to the event. These events typically involve temporary road closures over extended roadways throughout the City. Parade / Race Applications can be filled out online here. Any questions can be directed to Eric Sarley, the City's Community Events Coordinator via email or by phone at (216) 491-2595.
Parade / Race Deposit Fee Categories
Each Parade Permit application shall be accompanied by the payment of the fee as outlined in the chart below, to partially reimburse the City for its administrative costs, including set-up, inspections and assignment of safety personnel for traffic control. The application fee shall be refunded only if no permit is issued. The City may waive fees in particular circumstances when the public interest would be furthered thereby. The Community Events Coordinator will follow up in regard to your fee after your application has been received. Make checks payable to City of Shaker Heights.
|Shaker Heights Public Schools / Parent Teacher Organizations||$250.00||If the schools conduct back-to-back races/parades that meet the above guidelines, within a four-hour time frame, the fee for both races/parades will be $250.00|
|Shaker Heights Private Schools and Shaker Heights-Based Not-for-Profit Organizations||Actual Cost to City, maximum $1,000.00|
|All Other Non-Profit and For-Profit Organizations / Entities||$1,500.00 plus actual costs to City||Deposit required; after event and all direct and indirect costs have been calculated, will bill any additional cost|
Parade / Race Reminders
- No person or organization shall sponsor or conduct a parade or special event ("Event") without first obtaining a permit from the Recreation Department. The application for such a permit shall be submitted to the Recreation Department at least six (6) months prior to the Event.
- Weekend races, marches, and parades are limited to two (2) per month.
- Each permit application must include proof of liability insurance, naming the City of Shaker Heights as an additional insured, with limits of at least one million dollars ($1,000,000) per person and three million dollars ($3,000,000) per occurrence. The City may modify this requirement to meet the risk of the particular event.
- The City will require event organizers of all 10k, 5k, 5 mile and 2 mile races to choose a Predetermined Race Route. These routes will also have a designated 1 mile route for youth races and fun runs. Additional details are available in the Parade / Race Application.
- All races, walks, and marches are required to have 15 volunteers that will be stationed to support intersection closure, event set up, event clean up, and runner safety. The Police Department will assign at least two or more officers to assist with race / parade safety. Department of Transportation approved Safety vests will be provided by the City for all race volunteers for identification purposes.
- Race volunteer training will be required for all event volunteers. This training will include expectations from race volunteers and safety protocols. Training will be provided immediately before the start of the race by the Police Officer-In-Charge.
- Preference will be given to those organizations conducting races/parades within the previous two years.
Special Event Applications
A "Special Event" is an activity other than a Parade that takes place in the dedicated public right-of-way, on any public property, including, but not limited to parks and other City-owned facilities, or a public event on private property when City services are required. Past special events have included festivals, markets, street fairs, art exhibits, concerts or other live performances, and informational events.
Applications for permission to conduct a Special Event in Shaker Heights can be filled out online here. Any questions can be directed to Eric Sarley, the City's Community Events Coordinator via email or by phone at (216) 491-2595.