Service on City Committees
NOTE: The new Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee is now being formed. Interested in volunteering? Click here to learn more.
Residents are invited to take advantage of the opportunity to serve on a variety of committees, boards, commissions, task forces, and advisory groups to Council, the Mayor, and the City alongside their elected officials. The Mayor makes appointments of both Council members and residents to a term of between two and six years, depending on how a body is organized or sooner, if a vacancy occurs. (Use the links below to find details on terms.)
Council and resident members serving on committees, boards and commissions vote on proposed legislative actions presented for review and/or recommendation to Council. If the action involves the receipt of funds (e.g., a fee increase or grant application), or expenditure of funds (e.g., contracts of $25,000 or more per year), the action is also presented to the Finance Committee. Other bodies act in advisory capacity.
Residents who are interested in serving on bodies listed below may volunteer to do so. Indicate your interest by filling out this form: Service on City Committees.
The City’s website calendar lists City Council and committee meetings as well as a variety of other meetings which are open to the public. Feel free to visit a meeting to see their work in progress. Agendas and minutes provide insights into topics discussed.
Two-year terms, except where noted; learn more about the work of the committee by following the link.
- Neighborhood Revitalization & Development
- Safety & Public Works
Boards & Commissions
Terms vary; learn more about the work of the board or commission by following the link.
- Architectural Board of Review (Three-year term; must be a state registered architect for five years)
- Board of Appeals (Two-year term)
- City Planning Commission & Board of Zoning Appeals (Six-year term)
- Civil Service Commission (Six-year term)
- Fair Housing Review Board (Three-year term)
- Landmark Commission (Three-year term)
- Records Commission (Term at Mayor’s discretion)
- Tree Advisory Board (Two-year term)
Terms at Mayor’s discretion; learn more about the work of the City’s task forces.
- Human Relations Task Force
- Joint Facilities Task Force
- Public Art Task Force
- Wildlife Task Force