Contractors performing hot work in the City of Shaker Heights are required to obtain a Hot Work Permit. Hot work is a process that can cause a fire when flammable material is present. Examples of hot work include welding, cutting, brazing, soldering, torch work, and grinding.
To apply for a Hot Work Permit:
- Download the Hot Work Permit application (PDF).
- Return your completed application form and the $25 fee to the Shaker Heights Fire Department.
- Contractors may also email the Fire Department a completed, scanned permit application.
- Credit card, check, and cash payment accepted. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- After submitting the Hot Work Permit application, contractors should call the Fire Prevention Bureau at 216-491-1215 to schedule a hot work inspection. During this inspection, the fire inspector will ensure the work site complies with required safety guidelines.
- Contractors successfully passing the inspection will receive the Hot Work Permit and may begin work. Contractors not passing the inspection may correct the violations and request a re-inspection.
Please call 216-491-1215 with questions about the Hot Work Permit.