Conversations & Events
These conversations are designed to explore topics of race, diversity, equity, and inclusion as they relate to City departments, functions, practices and policies.
S.A.M.S. Conversations with the Shaker Heights Police Department
Shaker African American Mothers Support (S.A.M.S.) hosted a series of conversations with the SHPD and parents of African American children with the goal of building trust and strengthening the relationship between members of the department and the African American community. Learn more:
- Police & Youth Interaction (4/15/21): Watch the video | Listen to the audio
- Reducing Bias & Improving Cultural Competence (3/18/21): Watch the video | Listen to the audio
- Racial Profiling (2/18/21): Watch the video | Listen to the audio
- Knowing Your Rights During a Police Interaction (1/14/21): Watch the video | Listen to the audio
- Finding Common Ground (12/17/20): Watch the video | Listen to the audio
- Moving from Conversation to Action (8/6/20): Listen to the audio
- Policing Policies & Practices (7/29/20): Listen to the audio
Policing in Partnership with the Community
On July 23, 2020 members of SHPD and City staff shared information about police practices and policies, and responded to participant questions. Panelists included: Mayor David E. Weiss; Chief Administrative Officer Jeri Chaikin; Chief Prosecutor Randolph Keller; Police Chief Jeffrey DeMuth; Community Relations and Juvenile Unit Supervisor Sergeant Timothy Grafton; Community Relations Officer Martin Dunn; and Human Resources Manager Sandra Middleton.
- Listen to the audio of the event
- View answers to submitted questions (note: questions and answers have been edited for length and clarity; all questions and answers have been posted.)
For information about SHPD: We invite you to read more about SHPD policies and practices before the webinar by visiting www.shakeronline.com/police. The article A Force for Change from Shaker Life magazine provides a helpful overview of the department.
- Listen to audio of the April 7, 2021 Recreation Committee meeting, where research about barriers to participation in recreation programs was presented.
- Visit the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion playlist on the City's YouTube channel for additional related videos.
Tip: Follow the City on social media or subscribe to City ENews to get alerts about upcoming events.