Van Aken District Phase 2: Farnsleigh Apartments
- Click here to view construction updates at the developer's website..
In late August 2022, RMS, developer of the Van Aken District, broke ground on Phase 2 of the Van Aken District, a 228-unit apartment building located on the north side of Farnsleigh Rd. between Van Aken Blvd. and Tuttle Rd. The design process for Phase 2 began in late 2020 and the development obtained all required approvals of the Architectural Board of Review, City Planning Commission, and Board of Zoning Appeals. Construction will continue for just under two years.
The site had been a parking lot since 1965, and its development as apartments was envisioned in the 2008 Warrensville/Van Aken Transit-Oriented Development Plan.
The review of the proposed apartment project included a process of public meetings of the Architectural Board of Review as well as public hearings of the City Planning Commission/Board of Zoning Appeals at which public comments were included. Please see the below public meeting agendas, presentations and minutes.
|Meeting||Agendas & Other Documents|
|July 16, 2022 | ABR||View agenda|
|July 11, 2022 | City Council||View agenda|
|June 27, 2022 | City Council||View agenda and minutes|
|February 22, 2022 | ABR||View agenda and minutes|
|January 24, 2022 | City Council||View agenda and minutes|
|October 4, 2021 | ABR||View agenda and minutes|
|September 9, 2021 | BZA-CPC||View agenda and minutes|
|June 2, 2021 | BZA-CPC||View agenda and minutes|
|April 6, 2021 |||View agenda and minutes|
View RMS powerpoint
|April 5, 2021 | ABR||View agenda and minutes|
View RMS powerpoint
|March 30, 2021||Developer holds community meeting|
|March 15, 2021 | ABR||View agenda and minutes|
|January 12, 2021 |||View agenda and meeting minutes|
|December 21, 2020 | ABR||View agenda and minutes|
In the News
- 5/2/23: Shaker Heights diversifying through economic development
- 7/18/22 Shaker school board OKs additional tax breaks for Van Aken District Phase II apartment project
- 7/12/22 Shaker council answers a ‘big ask’ on Van Aken District Phase II with $4M ‘conditional grant’ for Farnsleigh Apartments
- 6/28/22 Van Aken District developer seeks $4 million forgivable loan from Shaker Heights
- 1/25/22 Shaker council introduces tax incentives for Van Aken District apartment towers
- 11/2/21 Shaker council OKs Lease Agreements with RMS for Future Phases in Van Aken District
- 9/1/21 RMS hopes to create ‘new downtown’ at Van Aken District
- 6/29/21 Shaker Heights Council Confirms Variance for Van Aken District Apartment High-rise
- 6/2/21 RMS gets OK for apartments at Van Aken District in Shaker Heights
- 4/13/21 Shaker Planning Commission Will Continue Public Meetings on Van Aken Phase 2
Please email or call Dan Feinstein in the City's Planning Dept. at 216-491-1435 for additional information about this project.