Learn about projects in the Shaker Lakes that seek to protect and modernize these parklands for generations to come. This includes projects that are part of the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District's Stormwater Management Program, like the recently completed upgrades at Green Lake. This page will also provide the latest information about NEORSD's recommendations for Horseshoe Lake and Lower Lake.
HORSESHOE & LOWER LAKES
- Work on the controlled breach of the Horseshoe Lake dam is underway. Learn more.
NEORSD has completed the Lake Erie Tributaries Master Plan, including a thorough study of the Doan Brook Watershed and the dams at Horseshoe Lake and Lower Lake. Sewer District officials presented their recommendations at a public meeting on Tuesday, June 15 (watch video below).
As part of regional stormwater management, NEORSD proposes to remove Horseshoe Lake dam and restore the Doan Brook with native plants in the footprint of Horseshoe Lake. They propose to rebuild the Lower Shaker Lake dam so that it meets the requirements of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) for a Class I dam. Visit neorsd.org/shakerlakes to learn more and ask questions.
View NEORSD's video about the proposal for Horseshoe Lake:
Statements of Support
- Read Shaker Heights City Council's Resolution Supporting Sewer District Recommendations for the Shaker Lakes
- View a statement of support from the Doan Brook Watershed Partnership
- View a statement of support from the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes
- View a statement of support from the Shaker Historical Society
Frequently Asked Questions
Note that questions submitted for August 9 public meeting are indicated with an asterisk (*). Click View All to see all FAQs pertaining to the NEORSD recommendations.
- Will there be additional amenities for residents at Horseshoe Lake when the dam is removed and the Doan Brook is restored to its natural state?
- Will residents still be able to walk around the park on a walking path?
- How will this affect Horseshoe Lake Park itself?
- What is NEORSD committed to paying for?
- What will NEORSD’s recommended plan cost the City?
Review video and/or audio of the five public meetings the City of Shaker Heights held to review and consider the NEORSD recommendations.
|June 14||NEORSD presentation to a joint meeting of the city councils of Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights. ||VIEW VIDEO|
|June 15||NEORSD presentation to community residents (download the slide deck at neorsd.org/shakerlakes)||VIEW VIDEO|
|August 9||In-person joint meeting of the city councils of Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights to answer resident questions about the NEORSD recommendations.||VIEW VIDEO|
|August 19||Virtual special meeting of the Shaker Heights City Council to provide an opportunity for residents to comment on the NEORSD recommendations.||LISTEN TO AUDIO|
|September 27||Regular meeting of Shaker Heights City Council to consider a resolution in support of the NEORSD recommendations for the Shaker Lakes. Download the NEORSD presentation (PDF)||LISTEN TO AUDIO|
- Cleveland Heights Council votes 6-0 to concur with plan for removal of Horseshoe Lake dam (Cleveland.com)
- Shaker Council votes 6-1 in favor of sewer district plan to remove Horseshoe lake dam, restore native habitat (Cleveland.com)
- Shaker Council could vote Monday (Sep. 27) on proposal to remove Horseshoe dam and lake (Cleveland.com)
- Shaker Heights Submits Proposal for Breach of Horseshoe Lake Dam (Ideastream)
- Cleveland Heights Council to Get Second Opinion on Horseshoe Lake (Cleveland.com)
- Shaker OKs quick fix on Horseshoe Lake dam; concerns voiced about long-term plans to remove it (Cleveland.com)
- Shaker Heights proffers temporary fix for Horseshoe Lake; hosts August 17 public meeting
- Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights hold joint meeting of council to discuss future of Shaker Lakes (News 5 Cleveland)
- Fate of Horseshoe Lake dam remains mired after public meeting with Shaker, Cleveland Heights councils (Cleveland.com)
- Sewer District Plans to Get Rid of Failing Horseshoe Lake Dam Due to Potential for Disaster (News 5 Cleveland)
- Regional Sewer District Officials Hash Out Additional Plans for Horseshoe Lake (Cleveland.com)
- Hopes for Horseshoe Lake Remain Drained in Sewer District Dam Assessment (Cleveland.com)
- Proposal Calls For Removing Horseshoe Lake And Dam In Shaker Heights (Ideastream)
In 2020, NEORSD completed a $5 million-plus upgrade to Green Lake. The project included the dredging of Green Lake back to its original construction depth to improve water quality and the construction of a new spillway and pedestrian bridge/walkway. The City contributed $500,000 toward the project. Learn more in NEORSD's video below: