Warrensville West Cemetery Historic Preservation Master Plan
History & Existing Conditions
Warrensville West Cemetery is located within the Shaker Town Center commercial district, is just over one acre, and is owned and maintained by the City of Shaker Heights. The first burial took place in 1811, making it the second-oldest burial ground in Cuyahoga County.
The cemetery was designated as a local Landmark in 1976 and is a contributing site to the Shaker Village National Register Historic District. It is the final resting place of Pioneer Families, Manx Settlers, Veterans of five Wars, founders of Warrensville Township, and North Union Shakers. The cemetery’s last burial took place in 1955 and has fallen into disrepair throughout the years.
The City of Shaker Heights, in partnership with the Shaker Historical Society and Shaker Heights Public Library, has completed a Historic Preservation Master Plan for Warrensville West Cemetery (link to plan). The Plan identifies existing resources and creates a framework to preserve, protect, and maintain the burial ground's historical, archaeological, architectural, and cultural value, will increase the site’s attractiveness, and will assure that maintenance and security are properly guided. The Historic Preservation Master Plan for the cemetery provides a roadmap to preserve one of Cuyahoga County's oldest burial sites and protect the remains of the people interred there.
This Plan includes:
- Ground-penetrating radar (PDF)
- Survey, documentation, and mapping of current conditions
- Recommendations and prioritization of necessary repairs
- Conceptual landscape plan
- Maintenance plan
- Safety/security plan
|October 23, 10 am to 2 pm||Gravestone Preservation Workshop|
View the Powerpoint (PDF) | View the Gravestone Conservation Booklet (PDF)
|November 11, 4:30-5:30 pm||Veterans Day Cemetery Tour (PDF)|
|December 8, 7 pm||Presentation of Draft Plan|
View the Powerpoint (PDF) | View the Meeting Video
|March 2022||Plan completion|
|April 25, 2022||Council adopts plan|
- Historic Preservation Master Plan for Warrensville West Cemetery (PDF)
- Draft Master Plan Presentation—December 8, 2021 (PDF)
- Conservation Workshop Booklet (PDF)
- Ground Penetrating Radar Survey Report for Warrensville West Cemetery (PDF)
- Stakeholder Meeting #2 Powerpoint
- Gravestone Restoration Workshop Powerpoint
- Examples of natural cemeteries:
Monroe Cemetery with natural area.
- Warrensville West Cemetery (ClevelandHistorical.org)
- Pioneers, Manxmen and Shakers at the Warrensville West Cemetery (ClevelandHistorical.org)
- Warrensville West Cemetery Scavenger Hunt (PDF)