- You Are Here:
- Boards, Committees & Commissions
- Landmark Commission
- 2023 Preservation Month Photo Contest
2023 Preservation Month Photo Contest
The community is invited to submit photos of what makes Shaker "Shaker" on Instagram using the hashtag #PreserveSH23 between now and May 31.
Twilight Rain by Sarah Ezzie Haines, Grand Prize Winner, 2021 Preservation Month Photo Contest
The Shaker Heights Landmark Commission seeks submissions to the 2023 Preservation Month Photo Contest. The contest was created in honor of National Preservation Month, which is celebrated each May by preservation organizations across the country. Submissions will be accepted via Instagram using the hashtag #PreserveSH23.
The contest encourages residents and visitors to submit images that showcase what makes Shaker "Shaker." Photos can highlight a particular architectural detail, landmark building, neighborhood, street, park, place to eat or shop, view, or anything else that represents Shaker Heights to the photographer.
The Landmark Commission formally recognizes the City's historic places through the designation of landmarks and the biennial Preservation Awards program. The Photo Contest asks the public to celebrate their favorite places in, and views of, Shaker Heights regardless of landmark designation. View the 2021 entries at #PreserveSH21.
- Follow the City of Shaker Heights on Instagram @shakerheights (you must follow @shakerheights to be eligible)
- Post a new photo on your Instagram account with a caption that includes:
a. a photo title
b. the photo location
c. the city's Instagram account handle: @shakerheights
d. the hashtag: #PreserveSH23
- Set your Instagram account to public.
That's it! Successful submissions will be acknowledged with a like and direct message on Instagram. If you have not received an acknowledgement within 2-3 business days, please check that your post includes both @shakerheights and the hashtag #PreserveSH23.
Winners will be contacted via Instagram direct message in late June and will be officially announced in July. Please enable notifications or occasionally check your Instagram account for a message during this time.
- Photos must be posted on Instagram before midnight on May 31, 2023 to be eligible.
- The contest is free and open to the public. Everyone is welcome to enter.
- Photos must be taken within the City of Shaker Heights.
- Photos must be taken in high-resolution – preferably HDR. Please upload a high-resolution copy of your photo. Winners will be required to submit high-resolution files in order to have their photos presented in Shaker Life.
- Photos may not be significantly altered using filters.
- Multiple entries are permitted (up to four), but only one photo per entrant may be selected as a winner.
- Any photos displaying a recognizable face must obtain said individual's permission using the City's photo release form.
- Your Instagram account cannot be private, or we will not be able to see your post.
Images that do not follow these rules may not be judged at the judging panel's sole discretion.
- Winners will be recognized in a press release, on the City's website and social media accounts, and in the fall issue of Shaker Life.
- All submissions become the property of the City of Shaker Heights.
- Submitted photos may be used by the City. Photographers will be credited whenever possible.
Contact Anna Mates at email@example.com or 216-491-1433 with questions.
Visit the Landmark Commission's webpage to learn more about the Commission and view winning entries from previous years.