What if a problem occurs?

Business Hours

During business hours (8 am-4 pm, M-F), residents can:

  • Call the City at 216-491-1490 and request a service visit to check the City side of the sewer. If the problem is found to be on the private side, the City will advise the owner to contact a sewer contractor. The owner is responsible for paying the cost of the contractor.

Non-Business Hours

During non-business hours, residents can:

  • Wait until the City can check the problem, usually on the next business day, particularly if it is not an emergency (call 216-491-1499 during non-business hours).
  • Hire a private contractor.
    • If the contractor finds that the problem is on the City side, the contractor or homeowner may contact the City. The contractor must leave an invoice indicating that the blockage is on the City side. In this case, the City will determine if it is an emergency situation. If so, the City will address the problem the same day. Emergencies could include situations like an entire street being flooded. These will be determined on a case by case basis.

Show All Answers

1. What causes a public sanitary sewer main backup?
2. What causes a private sanitary sewer lateral backup?
3. What causes a public storm sewer main backup?
4. What causes a private storm sewer lateral backup?
5. How do the footer drains work?
6. What causes footer drain backups?
7. Should I install a backwater prevention valve?
8. Should I consider a special rider added to my homeowner's or renter's insurance policy?
9. What are resident responsibilities?
10. What are City responsibilities?
11. What if a problem occurs?
12. Should I use copper sulfate?
13. Is there a list of contractors licensed with the City?
14. Whom should I call for help?