What kind of smoke detector/smoke alarm do I need?

Photoelectric smoke detectors/smoke alarms are required in Shaker Heights. This type of detector/alarm is more reliable (earlier detection) for the kinds of fires that can occur in the City’s homes and buildings. Photoelectric smoke detectors/smoke alarms also have a lower rate of false (nuisance) alarms.  You will know it is a photoelectric smoke detector/smoke alarm if you see a [P] inside a square on the packaging (see photo below).  We recommend residents use interconnected smoke alarms/CO detectors. That way when one goes off, they all will go off.

Photoelectric smoke alarm in packaging with a green arrow pointing to P in square

Show All Answers

1. What are the regulations for outdoor burning, including a fire pit?
2. What is hydrant flushing and what do I need to know?
3. Should I worry when fire hydrants are buried under the snow?
4. How do I report a leaking or damaged fire hydrant?
5. Why is my fire hydrant not painted?
6. What kind of smoke detector/smoke alarm do I need?
7. Where should I put smoke detectors/smoke alarms?
8. Do I need a carbon monoxide detector?
9. Where should I put a carbon monoxide detector?
10. Can the department help install my child's car seat?
11. How do I dispose of a fire extinguisher?
12. How do I dispose of a smoke detector?
13. How do I get a fire report?
14. How do I get an EMS report?
15. How do I schedule a station tour?
16. Do I need a permit for a temporary outdoor tent?
17. Where can I get assistance in extreme weather? Is there a cooling or warming center?