What is a criminal activity nuisance?

Violations of certain City laws (i.e. ordinances) at a residential or commercial property may be declared nuisances if they are engaged in by (a) the owner, (b) any occupant, or (c) any guest of the owner. If the Police find that two or more violations occur within an 18-month period, the owner may be sent a notice declaring the property a "nuisance," and then after a third violation, the Police may send a notice and charge police response costs for the third and any subsequent violation within 18 months. (The cost to owners is the hourly rate for each officer responding x 75% x number of hours, plus $20 per hour for the cruiser.)

Nuisance activity includes:

  • Animal odor, noise
  • Disorderly conduct, disturbance of the peace
  • Drug abuse
  • Gambling
  • Health, safety, or sanitation
  • Obstruction of official business
  • Sex offenses, public indecency, procuring, or prostitution
  • Assault, menacing
  • Criminal damaging, endangering, mischief
  • Littering or deposition of waste
  • Weapons, explosives, firearm, or handgun
  • Noise
  • Fireworks

Owners may file an appeal with the Chief of Police for any notice sent under this law within 30 days of the date of the notice. If the Chief determines the facts do not support the declaration of nuisance, the Chief will rescind the notice. If the Chief finds that the facts do support the declaration, the Board of Appeals will hear the appeal. An appeal will not stop the City from taking enforcement action or pursuing criminal prosecution. On appeal, in order to overturn the nuisance declaration, the owner must show that:

  • He/she was not the owner at the time of any one of the nuisance activities
  • He/she had knowledge of the nuisance activity, but took action to stop the activity from occurring
  • He/she had no knowledge, but as soon as he/she received notice, the owner took action to stop it from happening again.

Show All Answers

1. How do I request permission to park overnight?
2. How do I report a problem with a streetlight, street sign or traffic signal?
3. How do I report suspicious activity?
4. How do I report a crime?
5. How do I report a public nuisance, like loud music, rowdy behavior, etc.?
6. How do I report a traffic incident?
7. How do I pay a parking/traffic ticket?
8. How do I get a police report?
9. How do I get fingerprinted?
10. Does Shaker Heights require dogs to be on leashes?
11. How can I get a background check?
12. What is a criminal activity nuisance?
13. How can I find out if my car was towed?
14. How do I get my towed car released?
15. Where can I find contact information and hours for the Shaker Municipal Court?
16. How do I pay court fines?
17. How do I report an individual who might need help?
18. What does the Police Department do with found property?
19. How do I get my property released?
20. What is the police auction?
21. How do I report an incident with a dog, including a dog attack, a dead dog or a missing dog?
22. Am I required to use a bike helmet in Shaker Heights?
23. What is a bike license and how can I get one?
24. How do I recover a stolen bicycle?
25. How do I safely dispose of prescription drugs?
26. I have a question about a warrant block?
27. How do I apply for or learn more about the Citizen Police Academy?
28. I am a member of the press. Whom can I contact with my media inquiry?
29. How do I post a bond?
30. How do I find out if someone is in jail?
31. I want to hire an off duty police officer?
32. I want to request a police officer speak at my event?
33. I am going out of town? Can you check my residence?
34. Does Shaker Heights ban the use of hand-held cell phones while driving?
35. What is the false alarm ordinance?