Skip to Content

Building & Housing Department

The Building & Housing Department was created in December 2017 as a result of a merger between the Building and Housing Inspection Departments. We are working to create a combined presence for the new department on this website, but in the meantime please use the information and links below to find what you're looking for. If you're not sure where to start, please call the Building & Housing Department at 216-491-1460.

Building Staff
3400 Lee Road
Shaker Heights, OH 44120-3493
216-491-1460 | Email

Select Building for help with:

  • Building Permits/Inspections
  • New Construction/Renovation - Residential/Commercial
  • Business Licenses
  • Stop Work Orders
  • Building Code Plan Review
  • Construction Guidelines & Building Specifications
  • List of Registered Contractors
  • Commercial Property Maintenance

Housing Staff
3450 Lee Road
Shaker Heights, OH 44120-3629
216-491-1470 | Email

Select Housing for help with:

  • Housing Inspections
    • Point of Sale (POS)
    • Residential Periodic Inspections
    • Complaint Inspections
    • Rental Inspections
  • POS Escrow
  • Residential Property Maintenance
  • Vacant House/Lot Complaints
  • Complaints About Landlords
  • Housing Code Compliance
  • Inspection Guidelines and Forms

The Van Aken District: Fit Out Information

Resources for Tenants, Design Teams, and Contractors

Here you will find helpful information about the process of fitting out retail, restaurant, and office spaces in the Van Aken District. For questions not answered here, please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call the Building & Housing Department at 216-491-1461. We look forward to working with you.

Learn more about:

Tenant Mailing Addresses
The Van Aken District includes three new streets: Walker, Tuttle, and Meade. The Building & Housing Department is working with the U.S. Postal Service to create mailing addresses for these streets. Your specific mailing address will be assigned by RMS. Please refer to the Master Mailing Address List (maintained by RMS).

It is critical that all communications, including permit applications and plan submissions, reference the specific mailing address for the tenant location. Office tenants must also include their suite number.

Review of Storefront Systems and Signage
Storefront systems, signage, and any other exterior modifications require review by the City's Architectural Board of Review (ABR). We strongly recommend you get your application in early. ABR meets the first and third Monday of every month and may require several re-submissions before granting approval.

Download the ABR schedule, submission requirements, fees, and other information.

Building Plan Review Process

Drop-Off Location

City Hall, Building & Housing Department, 3400 Lee Rd.

Application for Plan Approval

A completed application with drawings is required.


No payment is due at the time of submission. You will be required to pay your plan review fees when your permits are issued.

Note: Plan review fees are the actual costs charged by the City's commercial plans examiner consultant.

Number of Sets

Click here to find out how many sets of your plans you are required to submit. All sets must be dropped off at the Building Department and will be routed accordingly (Fire, Plans Examiner, etc.).

Response Time

Reviews can take up to 30 days, though we strive to turn around small submissions in 10 business days. If we do not approve your plans the first time, you will be required to re-submit them. In general, we recommend design teams get their plans in as early as possible to accommodate necessary re-submissions.

Review Status

Click here to check the status of your plan review. You can learn more about how to use this log here.

Food Licenses
Food licenses are issued through the Cuyahoga County Board of Health. You are responsible for obtaining this license. Learn more about the County's food licensing process.

Contractor Registration Requirements
All contractors, including sub-contractors, are required to be registered with the City of Shaker Heights. Registration is $125 per trade and must be renewed each calendar year. Click here for more information.

Additionally, RMS is requiring the use of certain sub-contractors for elements that affect the larger structure (fire alarm, roofers, etc.). The list can be accessed here. However, please confirm with RMS's tenant fit out representative, Steve Scheer, that this is the most current list. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call Steve Scheer at 216-658-4319.


Permits Required

Permits are required for your project. No work may start until permits are issued, even if you have submitted your plans.

Note: If you intend to make changes to your plan after your permits have been issued, you must submit your revised plans for another round of review and approval.

These rules are strictly enforced. Any work performed without the proper permit is subject to a penalty of double the permit fee.

Permit Applications

Download here.


Refer to the fee schedule to calculate your payment. All tenant fit outs for the Van Aken District are considered "New Construction." Please add state tax of 3 percent to your fee total. As noted, you will also be expected to pay the costs of your plan review when your permits are issued.

If you need help calculating fees, please contact the Building & Housing Department at 216-491-1461.

Approved Plans

When your permits are issued, you will also get a set of approved plans. Please keep these plans on site for inspectors to reference.

Operational Permits

You may be required to obtain an operational permit from the Shaker Heights Fire Department. Examples of locations requiring an operational permit include places of assembly, locations with open flames (including candles), and the use of flammable liquids. Please contact Assistant Fire Chief Wayne Johnson to determine whether you will need an operational license. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call Chief Johnson at 216-491-1205.

Fire Extinguishers
As you near completion of your project, please contact the Fire Department for guidance with the placement of fire extinguishers. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call Assistant Fire Chief Wayne Johnson at 216-491-1205.


Fire Protection Systems: Please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call Assistant Fire Chief Wayne Johnson at 216-491-1205. The Fire Department will coordinate with the Building Department to ensure a Building Inspector is also present for this inspection. Please schedule your inspection at least 48 hours in advance.

Food Licenses: Please contact the Cuyahoga County Board of Health at 216-201-2000 to schedule your pre-licensing inspection. Please call at least one week prior to your anticipated opening date. Learn more about the County's food licensing process.

Building, Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, and All Other Inspections: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call the Building Department at 216-491-1461. Be sure to include the address, type of inspection you require, and your requested time frame. Inspections must be scheduled 24 hours in advance.

Fire Protection Acceptance Tests
The Assistant Fire Chief will need to be present for all fire protection acceptance tests. To schedule your test, please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call Assistant Fire Chief Wayne Johnson at 216-491-1205. A minimum of 48 hours advance notice is required for acceptance tests.

Work Hours

Any construction work that creates a noise disturbance in a residential area is not permitted during the following times:

Monday–Friday, 7 pm to 7 am

Saturday and Sunday, 5 pm to 9 am

Under certain circumstances, a variance to work outside of the permitted hours may be granted on a case-by-case basis. To request a variance, please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call Shaker Heights Police Commander Mike Rowe at 216-491-1245. Include dates and hours for the work, equipment used, location, and a justification for your request.

Contractor Parking

Do Park:

  • Street parking on adjacent streets.
  • First row of parking spots next to the Rapid tracks in Shaker Plaza.
  • Municipal Farnsleigh Rd. parking lot. (Note: most of this lot is controlled by Marous Brothers. One row is available to the public and/or other non-Marous Brothers contractors.)
  • Thornton Park. Two lots are available; one lot is accessible from Warrensville Center Rd., and the other is accessible from Farnsleigh Rd.
  • As directed by RMS and Turner Construction (temporary parking may become available).

Do Not Park:

  • Any row other than the first row next to the Rapid tracks in Shaker Plaza.
  • Ohio Savings or Key Bank.
  • Any other private property.

Business License - Commercial Occupancy Permit Requirements
To open for business, you will need to obtain a Business License - Commercial Occupancy Permit. All other permits must be finaled out before we issue the Commercial Occupancy Permit.

Submit your application for the Business License - Commercial Occupancy Permit to the Building  & Housing Department with the required $100 fee.

As part of this process, please schedule the final life safety check of your space by calling the Building & Housing Department at 216-491-1461. The Assistant Fire Chief and a Building Inspector will conduct this inspection, which takes 30 minutes on average. Food operators must also provide a copy of the food license at this inspection. If everything checks out, your Commercial Occupancy Permit will be issued and you may open for business.


Van Aken District: Tenants

A VAD AerialLookingSouth

Below is a list of new tenants confirmed for the Van Aken District (plus a list of what's open now). We will keep this page updated, so check back for more announcements in the coming months. Want to learn more about the Van Aken District? Visit our New Construction page.

Update (July 2018)

The District developer recently announced exciting new food and beverage tenants. Among the newcomers are On the Rise, Brassica, and Craft Collective. Reporter Doug Trattner does an excellent job of explaining how the Van Aken District is being designed to create a unique experience for Shaker. Read Trattner's article in Cleveland Scene.


Jonathon Sawyer restaurant
Andrews Colour Atelier
CLE Clothing Inc.
Craft Collective
Double Rainbow Children’s Clothing
Eddy’s Barbershop
Genuine Pizza
Mitchell’s Ice Cream
On the Rise
Restore Cold Pressed Juice
Rising Star Coffee Roasters
SEE Eyewear
Shaker Rocks
Urban Orchid
Whiskey Grade
Xhibition Co.

The Orman Building

The Orman Building is a 22,000 square-foot artisanal food and retail market in the heart of the Van Aken District. The market will be anchored by two chef-driven concept restaurants, including one from Jonathon Sawyer, who is also helping to steer the dining strategy for the District as "curator of food experiences." Inside the market, up to 20 stalls will offer a mix of dining, prepared foods, retail, and other services.


ABA Insurance
Financial Services Company
McGlinchey Stafford
RMS Investment Corporation
Paragon Advisors
Suburban Pediatrics


Open Now

The following businesses are open and welcome your patronage.


Brew at Juma (20100 Chagrin)
Donato’s Pizza (20307 Van Aken)
J. Pistone’s (3245 Warrensville Center)
Lucy’s Sweet Surrender (20314 Chagrin)
‘Nawlins City Express (201314 Chagrin)
Pearl Asian Kitchen (20121 Van Aken)

Qdoba (20090 Van Aken)
Saffron Patch (20600 Chagrin)
Shaker Wines (20100 Van Aken)
Subway (20309 Van Aken)
Swerve Grille (20126 Chagrin)


Bicycle Boulevard (20132 Chagrin)
Evie Lou (20075 Chagrin)
Frames Unlimited (20123 Van Aken)

Juma Gallery (20100 Chagrin)
New Balance (20116 Van Aken)



Shaker Community Gallery (3445 Warrensville Center)


Key Bank (3370 Warrensville Center)
Ohio Savings Bank (20133 Farnsleigh)
PNC (20711 Chagrin)


Phenomenal U (20122 Chagrin)
Sgro Barbers
(3237 Warrensville Center)
Sisu Salon (3239 Warrensville Center)

Child Care/Pre-School

Le Chaperon Rouge (3350 Warrensville) 


Core Life Chiropractic (20134 Van Aken)


D. O. Summers (20321 Van Aken)
The Fussy Cleaners (3231 Warrensville Center)


A.J. Heil Florist (3233 Warrensville Center)


Club Fit (20820 Chagrin)
The Little Gym (20707 Chagrin)


Blulens | Dawn Cook (3235 Warrensville Center)


Rite Aid (20405 Chagrin)
Walgreen’s (20307 Van Aken)


MotoPhoto (20116 Chagrin)


Christ Episcopal Church (3445 Warrensville Center)

Urgent Care

Hometown Urgent Care (20300 Chagrin)


Chagrin Corporate Center (20820 Chagrin Blvd.)
CTL (20521 Chagrin Blvd.)
Shaker Medical Building (3461 Warrensville Center Rd.)
Tower East (20600 Chagrin Blvd.)
University Hospitals (3605-3645 Warrensville Center Rd.)


As of: March 2018

Residential Property Tax Abatement

Buyers of newly built homes in the Transit Village and Southern Moreland Community Reinvestment Areas (CRAs) may be eligible for a residential property tax abatement.

Specifically, property owners who apply for and receive the abatement will get a tax exemption of 100 percent of the increase in the assessed value of the property resulting from new construction. The period of the abatement is up to 10 years.

Note: The abatement is granted only for the value of the improvements related to the newly constructed home. During the term of the abatement, the property owner is responsible for paying all taxes associated with the land value of the property.

To be eligible for the abatement, properties must meet certain criteria. These include:

  • New construction
  • Located in the Transit Village or Southern Moreland CRAs (see map below)
  • Residential, single-family dwelling
  • Minimum investment of $125,000
  • Owner occupied

To receive the abatement, eligible property owners must:

1) Apply for the abatement (see links below) and;

2) Have the application certified by a Shaker Heights Housing Officer.

Applications must be filed with the Shaker Heights Housing Officer no later than six months after completion of the new construction. The Housing Officer will determine whether an application meets the requirements for the program.

Learn more:


All applications must be submitted digitally via the forms linked above.

Facility Reservations/Rentals and Block Parties

The City offers residents several facilities for hosting parties, meetings, and events. Rates vary and some restrictions apply. Review the locations and policies to determine which facility best meets your needs and to learn more about reserving/renting the space.

Thornton Park
Horseshoe Lake Park
Block Parties
Stephanie Tubbs Jones Community Building
The Dealership

Please note: Special events, including parades, races, and festivals, require permission from the City. Visit Special Events Guidelines for an application and details.

Thornton Park

Ice Arena Rental
The ice arena may be reserved by private groups for parties during selected times. Rates begin at $205/hour and include skate rental. For availability, call Thornton Park, 216-491-1295, or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Pool Parties
Select dates are available for pool parties at Thornton Park (residents only). You may reserve a table outside the pool area at a cost of $30 for two hours or reserve the Community Room for $40/hour (two-hour minimum). The pool, pool deck, or any area within the pool fence is not available for parties or reservations. Pool admission rates apply. A minimum of two weeks advance notice is required. For availability and reservations, please contact Thornton Park at 216-491-1295.

Community Room Rental
The Community Room at Thornton Park may be reserved by individuals or groups when not in use for Recreation Department programs. Cost is $40 per hour for Shaker residents, $50 per hour for non-residents. A two-hour minimum is required. For availability and reservations, please contact Thornton Park at 216-491-1295.

Horseshoe Lake Park

Book your party in the large pavilion up to one year in advance. A permit is required and dates fill quickly. Weekday reservations are available May 31-August 31. Reservations are available weekends only in September. No reservations will be taken for Memorial Day, Independence Day, or Labor Day. Pavilions may be used on a first-come, first-served basis on these holidays. Restrooms are open May 1-October 30. For information, availability, and reservations, call 216-491-1351 or learn more online.

Block Parties

A block party in Shaker is for residents of the street being blocked off (i.e., all residents on the street are invited) and their guests; it is not open to the public; and it is non-sectarian, non-partisan and non-commercial. The City does not block streets for private events. The contact person for the block party should be a resident of the street.

Submit requests for block parties two weeks in advance online or by contacting Erin Rose, 216-491-3204, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Block parties must be registered with the City due to safety issues concerning police and fire routes.

All Shaker block parties receive:

    • Special brush pick-up/street cleaning prior to the event
    • Delivery of barricades to block the street
    • Police car or Fire truck for youngsters to see up close
    • Mayor and Council member visits

Contact the Fire Department to obtain a tent permit, if necessary. Also, the City does not have tables or chairs to loan or rent, and the City is not able to deliver equipment (excluding barricades).

Stephanie Tubbs Jones Community Building

Meeting space is available to Shaker residents on weekdays for meetings only. The rooms are not available for private parties or gatherings. Meeting rooms include Room 102 (capacity of 15) and Room 115 (capacity of 20). Room 114 accommodates 150 people and is ideal for larger meetings, lectures, and classes.

Call 216-491-1360 to reserve a room. Some restrictions apply.

The Dealership

The Dealership offers room rentals to businesses, organizations, community groups, and individuals for retreats, meetings, workshops, classes, parties or events. Available spaces accommodate anywhere from five to 200 people.

For floor plans and details please contact Micki Hejduk at 216-455-5499 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Tuesday, July 17, 2018


summer 2018 cover website

Visit the online home of Shaker Life magazine.